Job Ref: 27010
Talent Area: Laboratory
Houston Methodist The Woodlands
The Woodlands, TX 77385
Area/Department: Anatomical Pathology
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: PRN
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: PRN
Work Week: M - F
Houston Methodist The Woodlands will be the eighth in the Houston Methodist system, offering The Woodlands community a full-service, acute care hospital with many of the same services as our flagship hospital in the Texas Medical Center. The $380 million campus will feature a new 187-bed, 470,000-square-foot facility.
Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital, located at the intersection of TX 242 and I-45, is scheduled to open in July 2017. Construction includes a 150,000-square-foot medical building, which opened March 2016. The Medical Office Building 1 includes a Breast Care Center, Cancer Center & Infusion Center, Orthopedics & Sports Medicine, Wellness Services, Outpatient Laboratory and Therapy, in addition to multi-specialty physician practices.
Performs all tests which necessitate knowledge of routine histological techniques and demonstrates competency in the use of all routine histology-related equipment. Recognize and documents factors which directly affect daily histological procedures and results. Uses and monitors quality control programs and performs simple maintenance on routine histology-related instruments. Follows mandatory safety procedures and practices as outlined by accreditating agencies. Manages time efficiently; performs other duties as assigned.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Demonstrates knowledge and technical competency in the following histological techniques: accurate and timely preparation of cryosections; (orientation and freezing of tissue samples submitted for frozen sectioning and the proper microtomy of such tissue). Prepares optimally stained slides for special stains. Assists in collection of material from fine needle aspiration and bone biopsy procedures. Demonstrates competency in the use of all equipment and instruments related to procedures (cryostats and special stains) and follows established operating procedures and schedules for such equipment.
2. Maintains documentation of work performed by initialing slides, tech sheets, and other AP records and documents work performed in histology by compiling and initialing daily log sheets and accessioning into the Laboratory Information System.
3. Performs, evaluates and documents routine equipment maintenance and QC on all routine histology related equipment. Reports all problems to Laboratory Management.
4. Responsible for inventory control in histology and frozen section areas. Maintains the inventory of onsite slide storage and tissue disposition.
5. Recognizes problem occurrences, identifies causes, and takes corrective action to solve basic problems.
6. Readily assists in development and/or implementation of new and revised procedures and is receptive to change.
7. Generally works well with others making contributions to the work effort as a whole. Facilitates problem resolution. Communication to promote both efforts is clear and professional.
8. Demonstrates the components of the ICARE values statement and complies with business practices standards for performance.
9. Demonstrates high standards in providing customer service/patient satisfaction.
10. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
11. Manages time efficiently while on duty including the performance of other duties as assigned.
Successful completion of an accredited Histotechnician program, or combination of an Associate degree and experience as defined by American Society of Clinical Pathology as eligibility for the HT(ASCP) exam.
No experience required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Must meet the legibility requirements and/or be certified as a Histological Technician HT(ASCP).
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Must be able to perform all routine and some specialized histological procedures and meet productivity standards in a high volume laboratory.
See attached ADA activities checklist. Reasonable accommodation will be made to these requirements to enable individuals with disabilities to perform this work as required.
Standard computerized laboratory setting. Preventive maintenance and instrument repair may require lifting pushing or pulling 1 to 50 lbs. Weight involved varies by section and by instrument. Universal precautions are followed at all times including blood borne pathogens, hazard communication, and PPE/glove utilization.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.