Job Ref: 27158
Talent Area: Administrative/Clerical
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Medical Records
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Part-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY; Part Time
Work Week: M - F; 2 or 3 days a week
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
SUMMARY The HPF Prepping/Scanning Technician is responsible for preparing all Business Office documents for scanning and for researching HIS to identify the correct encounter number for each document. Documents will be prepared daily so that all documents can be scanned within 24 hours of receipt. This position is also responsible for scanning all records into the Horizon Business Office Folder (HBF) on a daily basis and indexing the documents to the specific encounter using the Document Capture Scan/Quality Control Indexing (DCS/QCI) process. This position will maintain daily workflow, insuring that records are scanned in a timely and efficient manner to avoid delay in further processing. This is a PRN position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Prepares all Business Office documents received from outside sources and documents created internally for scanning. a. Removes all staples, paperclips, etc. b. Flat10s documents for easy feed by the scanner. c. Copies documents torn, taped or too small to feed through the scanner.
2. Researches HIS to find correct encounter number and writes accurate encounter number clearly on the document 100% of the time.
3. Places documents in stacks by document type.
4. Prepares batches appropriately with like documents, and includes a batch cover sheet.
5. Receives internal correspondence to be scanned and processes according to procedure 100% of the time.
6. Distributes non-patient centric mail to departments on a daily basis.
7. Scans all Business Office documents received from outside sources and documents created internally.
8. Retrieves records from index queue and indexes the document to the correct encounter within 24 hours of receipt of document and at least 100% of the time.
9. Assigns the correct document name to each document 98% of the time.
10. Verifies that each batch has been prepped appropriately and assigns a batch label according to procedure at least 100% of the time.
11. Identifies pages that did not scan well and rescans the document. 12. Writes batch to correct work queue at least 100% of the time.
13. Cleans scanner on a weekly basis and according to scanner instruction manual.
14. Assists others with responsibilities and adjusts work schedule to meet departmental needs.
15. Participates in emergency preparedness drills and actual emergencies as instructed in the Safety Management Program Manual.
16. attends and participates in department meetings.
17. attends all mandatory hospital and department in-services. 18. Follows hospital and departmental policies and procedures, including at10dance guidelines, call-in procedures, dress code, etc.
19. Manages personal activities during regular work hours within departmental guidelines.
20. Communicates in a clear, effective, and timely manner.
21. Maintains confidentiality of information in accordance with HIPAA Regulations.
22. Follows ICARE Values in all aspects of this role.
a. Consis10tly demonstrates a positive attitude.
b. Fosters team work by offering assistance to others.
c. Provides positive welcome to all customers.
d. Acknowledges and responds tactfully to all requests.
e. Communicates and interacts with others in a professional, responsible, cooperative, and positive manner at all times.
23. Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE: ¿1 year of previous experience in clerical position, preferably hospital Business Office ¿ Basic PC skills ¿ Excellent verbal and written communication skills in the English language
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS 1 year of previous experience in clerical position, preferably hospital Business Office.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED N/A
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED 1. Basic PC skills with excellent verbal and written communication skills in the English language.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.