Job Ref: 27187
Talent Area: Laboratory
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Pre-Admit Testing
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
**FULL-TIME / DAYS**
Collects and delivers blood specimens, and completes appropriate reports on both inpatients and outpatients. Must be able to endure standing, walking, and bending for long periods of time. Maintains competency of techniques and principles required to perform quality phlebotomy services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Demonstrates skills necessary for venipuncture, capillary, and coagulation time techniques on neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients. Responds promptly when any request for service is received. Rotates through various satellite areas to perform phlebotomy including Smith 5 Outpatient, J1s 9, Smith 11, and Main Pre-OP.
2. Accurately identifies patients for ECG and phlebotomy procedures. Obtains correct specimens and labels them appropriately.
3. Demonstrates knowledge of different specimen collection containers and media to assist in the distribution of supplies to patients, physician offices, nursing units and patient care areas. Maintains a clean, organized and well-stocked work area.
4. Uses programs in the Laboratory Computer System to accurately order tests, cancel tests, footnote comments, investigate the status of test requests, register patients, and perform other data entry duties as needed.
5. Provides prompt and personalized service to all patients, demonstrating the componets of the I CARE values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence).
6. Generally works well with others to make contributions to the work effort as a whole and facilitates problem resolution. Communication to promote both efforts is clear, professional and appropriate to the age of the patient served.
7. Reports all unusual occurrences, procedural discrepancies and recollect requests to the supervisory personnel.
8. Maintains thorough, accurate, and complete documentation of work performed.
9. Readily implements new and revised procedures.
10. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
11. Performs other job-related duties as assigned. Utilizes spare time to seek out and complete extra tasks.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS Previous phlebotomy experience required. Must have satisfactory score on the math skills test administered by Methodist Hospital Human Resources.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED American Society of Phlebotomy Technician (ASPT) preferred.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED 1. Must exhibit excellent customer service skills. 2. Ability to build and sustain interpersonal relationships. 3. Ability to clearly and effectively communicate verbally with patients and staff. 4. Must meet the requirements on the competency checklist for the assigned area
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.