Job Ref: 27197
Talent Area: Laboratory
Houston Methodist Research Institute
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: BSL 3
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: Varies
Houston Methodist Research Institute was formed in 2004 to rapidly and efficiently translate discoveries made in the laboratory and the clinic into new diagnostics, therapies and treatments. The research institute was created to provide the infrastructure and support for these endeavors, and to house the technology and resources needed to make innovative breakthroughs in important areas of human disease. A 540,000 square foot building dedicated to research, the research institute houses over 1,500 staff and trainees, 277 principal investigators and has more than 840 ongoing clinical trials.
The Core Facility/Laboratory Manager II provides administrative and scientific management of a HMRI Core Facility/Laboratory. The Core Facility/Laboratory Manager II will operate to ensure proper budgetary and operational needs/capabilities for the Core are met. Ensures appropriate Facility/Laboratory compliance with system, institutional and accrediting agency regulations. Establishes scheduling, billing, and usage for the Core Facility/Laboratory. Defines and develops compliance reports according to the Core¿s needs. Develops and implements strategic operational and scientific planning for the Core.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Select the applicable age group(s) of primary customers/patients served by this position.
¿ Not applicable
¿ Neonate (Birth to 28 days)
¿ Infants/Toddlers (29 days to 18 months)
¿ Toddler (18 months to 3 years)
¿ Preschooler (3-6 years)
¿ School Age (6-12 years)
¿ Adolescence (12-18 years)
¿ Young Adult (19-40 Years)
¿ Middle Adult (40-65 Years)
¿ Mature Adult (65 years and older)
System and department specific ICARE values
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
1. Assists HMRI Principal Investigators with scientific advice in the area of expertise.
2. Works with Communications and External Relations Office to establish Intra- and Inter-Net pages, marketing pamphlet, and other marketing tools (seminar, Grand Rounds, Posters, etc.)
3. Manages assigned Core staff and others when in the Core Facility.
1. Plans, manages and controls Core budget.
2. In coordination with the Office of Central Laboratory Operations and the Office of Budgets and Financial Reporting and in compliance with Federal regulations, establishes a schedule of charges (fee schedule) for services/resources provided by the Core.
3. Using appropriate HMRI system (iLab, VELOS, LAMBS, other), invoice customers in a timely manner.
1. Establishes, implements and manages Core processes for scheduling of services/equipment.
2. Communicates with Core users/customers to define, establish and update Core procedures for Core activities.
3. Provides training for use of Core facility and equipment properly and safely.
1. Provides both scientific and administrative management, oversight and direction for the Core.
2. Provides day to day management of the Core operations.
3. Works with Core staff to ensure Core is prepared for inspections by HM internal mechanisms (HMH EHS, HMRI IRB, HMRI HSC/IBC, HMRI IACUC) and adheres to safety standards, (HM, HMRI, Core Specific)
4. For new core, oversees the creation, development, and implementation of the Core facilities.
1. Develops and implements Core Strategic Plan, including scientific direction and budget planning in coordination with HMRI and HM Strategic Plans.
2. Provides scientific advice in the area of expertise, financial comparisons for technology/equipment options and recommends direction for the Core¿s capital equipment purchases for HMRI/Leadership/Strategic Plan.
This position description is not intended to be all inclusive, and the employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other management as required. The Houston Methodist Hospital reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Bachelor¿s degree in one of the natural sciences required.
Master¿s degree preferred.
Five plus years of experience in working with the Core specific technology.
Five years¿ experience managing a technical/research resource or laboratory required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
¿ Expertise in a Core Facility/Laboratory specific scientific area or technology, e.g. Flow Cytometry, Biorepository Management, MRI
¿ Skilled at managing multiple projects with conflicting priorities.
¿ Ability to develop and effectively deliver presentations.
¿ Excellent interpersonal skills.
¿ Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Work, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
¿ Aptitude to learn computer based Core management/invoicing systems (iLab, VELOS, LAMBS)
Activity Checklist attached (see below)
Generally, work is done in an office, laboratory, vivarium, or production facility environment with pleasant working conditions. There is good lighting and ventilation, it is reasonably quiet, and the work hours are reasonably regular.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.