Job Ref: 27214
Talent Area: Laboratory
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital
Baytown, TX 77521
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Part-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: Saturday & Sunday 7am-7pm
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, located 35 miles southeast of Houston, is the area's only full-service hospital offering specialized medical care for patients at every stage in life. This 392 licensed bed hospital with 18 operating rooms, and over 1,400 employees, brings Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and surrounding counties.
Performs both simple and complex analysis, which necessitates knowledge of laboratory techniques, principles, and equipment and their interrelationship.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
For technologists performing Bleeding Times and Phlebotomy, all age group competencies must be met.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1) Processes specimens to be evaluated.
2) Performs and interprets analyses offered by the laboratory accurately and efficiently according to established procedures.
3) Maintains accurate and orderly records of tests performed.
4) Uses independent judgment and discretion to recognize problems, identify causes and take corrective action. Facilitates problem resolution
5) Always works well with others making contributions to the work effort as a whole. Facilitates problem resolution. Communication to promote both efforts is clear and professional.
6) Performs, evaluates, interprets and documents quality control of equipment and procedures within established guidelines.
7) Performs and documents routine equipment preventive maintenance and minor repairs
8) Assists in training new employees and/or students as assigned by Coordinator / Manager / Director.
9) Readily assists in development and/or implementation of new or revised procedures.
10) Demonstrates the components of the I CARE values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence).
11) Demonstrates Customer Service standards (smiles and makes eye contact; greets each patient and visitor; seeks out patient and visitor contact; displays appropriate body language at all times; takes 5 minutes each day to go above and beyond for one patient or visitor; honors diversity; thanks every customer).
12) Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
13) Performs other duties as assigned, which include assisting with staffing needs across the service line as competencies allow.
Bachelor’s degree in related field required.
Minimum of 1 year of work or training experience in a hospital laboratory.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Must be certified as a Medical Technologist (or categorical certification) by the Board of Registry (ASCP-MT)
as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist (or categorical certification) by NCA (CLS)
certification by the American Society of Microbiologists (ASCP-M) within one calendar year from date of hire.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Knowledge of the functional discipline of the work area.
Knowledge of work area processes and procedures.
Skill in developing and maintaining interpersonal relationships as required in the operating environment.
Skill in verbal and written communication.
Skill in planning and organizing the work area.
Ability to analyze and solve problems.
Must meet the requirements on the competency checklist for assigned work area.
Computer knowledge with ability to utilize LMIS, systems and applications.
See attached ADA activities checklist.
Indoor work. Normal hospital laboratory with typical hospital environmental hazards and
concerns. Standard computerized laboratory setting. Universal blood and body fluid precautions are followed utilizing personal protective equipment and engineering controls.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.