Job Ref: 27220
Talent Area: RN - Performance Improvement/Quality
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Qual Care Mgmt-Perf Improv
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Accurately abstracts data through concurrent and/or retrospective medical record review, organizes and inputs data into appropriate database, according to specifications manual/database definitions. Performs patient follow-up as prescribed by guidelines. Meets or exceeds all timelines for completion.
2. Interprets/analyzes data to determine trends, identify potential causative factors and opportunities for improvement. Incorporates analyses into routine monthly or ad hoc reports, using statistical tools/graphic models appropriate for data and in10ded audience. Presents results to Performance Improvement teams.
3. Maintains accurate and up-to-date reports on shared drive.
4. Validates data and ensures integrity of data/database. Performs routine data checks throughout the year to ensure key elements are correct prior to reporting internally or submitting data to external agencies. Reports all coding errors (procedure, dates, physician, etc.) to Health Information Manager responsible for coding and follows up to ensure changes are made prior to the end of each fiscal quarter.
5. Assists Performance Improvement Specialists with collection of data for PI projects and referral of complications found during routine medical record reviews and provides materials for committee presentation in a timely manner.
6. Responsible for data clean-up and submission, utilizing data quality/feedback reports to correct problems with missing data or transmission errors.
7. Maintains knowledge of guidelines governing data abstraction, stays current with clinical knowledge for specialty area and provides manager with copies of continuing education documentation for department file. attends educational sessions offered in-house related to guidelines, best practice, etc. Serves as resource and expert for measure sets on multidisciplinary performance improvement teams . Communicates important changes to administration, medical staff and other healthcare providers in timely manner to allow for necessary system changes.
8. Adheres to Performance Improvement Department Service Standards.
9. Demonstrates the componets of ICARE Values statement and complies with Business Practice standards. Demonstrates ServicePride standards.
10. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
11. Performs other duties as assigned. This position description is not in10ded to be all-inclusive, and the employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other management as required. The Methodist Hospital reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS Bachelor of Science in Nursing
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS At least 3 years of hospital nursing; required. Previous performance improvement experience, preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED Current Registered Nurse (RN) License to practice Nursing in Texas. Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ) desired
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Ability to review medical information from multiple computer sources, abstract pertinent information, and assimilate findings based upon defined measurement guidelines.
2. Detail oriented.
3. Intermediate analytical skills.
4. Skill in general use of spreadsheet, relational database, presentation and word-processing software and the Internet. (Familiarity with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Access essential for success in this position).
5. Excellent time management and organizational skills.
6. Ability to interact with all members of the medical and administrative staff in a professional and courteous manner.
7. Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in written forms.
8. Ability to work independently and/or with teams.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.