Job Ref: 27293
Talent Area: Nurse Practitioner
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Nurse Practitioners
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
The role of the Nurse Practitioner (NP) Program Manager is both clinical and administrative. Serves as a clinical resource for NPs on the shift, as well as for the nursing staff. Serves as a liaison to the Medical Staff, Hospital Leadership Team and Nursing Leadership. Promotes a practice environment that empowers Nurse Practitioners to provide effective, compassionate and efficient patient care. Functions as a primary care provider maintaining and promoting the health of patients requiring acute care. Affects direct patient care according to the nurse practice act of the State of Texas and The Methodist Standards of Nursing Care policies and procedures.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. In conjunction with the NP Program Director, strategy builder for ongoing growth, development and promotion of the NP Program.
2. Initiates outcome and quality improvement activities including benchmarking for NP practice.
3. Provides continuous employee assessment and performance evaluation at designated intervals and as required, including annual evaluations.
4. Coordinates the hiring and orientation of new NP staff, counsels and coaches employees regarding work performance and takes appropriate disciplinary action when necessary.
5. Assesses the need for NP staff development programs, and assists with development, implementation and evaluation of programs.
6. Responds to employee, patient and physician concerns, taking appropriate action and channeling concerns according to appropriate procedures.
7. Establishes and maintains open communication channels with the NP Program Director, other departments, units, and physician groups. Ensures timely, appropriate and usable information and direction to staff.
8. Demonstrates exceptional interpersonal, intercultural, and communication skills when dealing with patients, family, staff, physicians, administrators and other hospital personnel.
9. Maintains personal professional development through organization membership, attendance at workshops and other educational programs, to ensure awareness of current developments and trends in NP practice. Actively seeks out and participates in publishing opportunities.
10. Actively participates in hospital committees and disseminates necessary information to staff.
11. Demonstrates leadership as clinical resource, interdisciplinary consult, and patient advocate. Serves as preceptor for new hired Nurse Practitioners, NP students and medical resident(s).
12. Conducts comprehensive health assessments (initial, ongoing, discharge), identifies normal/abnormal health characteristics, develops plan of care, initiates appropriate interventions, and evaluates care outcomes on defined patient populations(s).
13. Performs delegated functions under physician supervision, such as differential diagnosis, use of prescriptive authority, and treatment according to practice guidelines, protocols, and/or standing orders. Accepts accountability for outcomes in health care.
14. Uses critical thinking skills and clinical judgment to work autonomously as defined by the Nurse Practice Act. Collaborates with healthcare team members to manage/coordinate patient care.
15. Maintains current licensure and credentials. Remains current in practice.
16. Follows all safety rules and policies and attends all required training in a timely manner. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with staff and management regarding any hazards in the workplace.
17. Demonstrates the componets of the ICARE values statement and all aspects of Service Pride.
18. Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS Masters Degree in Nursing with Nurse Practitioner specialty, Required .
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS Required minimum of 5 years clinical nursing experience. Required minimum of 3 years of Nurse Practiti1r experience or 3 years management/supervisory experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED Registered Nurse with current Texas license National Certification as a Nurse Practitioner Recognized by the State of Texas as an Advanced Practice Nurse with prescriptive authority
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED 1. Must be able to effectively communicate in English.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.