Job Ref: 27336
Talent Area: Pharmacy
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital
Houston, TX 77070
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: PRN
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: AS NEEDEDWork Week
This PRN position is scheduled to work every other weekend, plus weekdays as needed, during various shifts & hours
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital opened its doors to Northwest Houston in December 2000. In May 2010, a major expansion on the 52-acre campus doubled the size of the hospital, bringing more expertise, more state-of-the-art technology and more specialized care to the community. With 312 licensed beds, 15 operating rooms and over 1,800 employees, Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital was specifically designed to provide comprehensive, personalized care for the community.
JOB SUMMARY: The Pharmacy Technician II is an experienced Pharmacy Technician who provides day-to-day comprehensive pharmacy services that range from routine to advanced functions. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: controlled substance management, chemotherapy compounding, unit dose dispensing technology, satellite operating room and intensive care unit pharmacy assignments, medication histories, and advanced medication compounding. Helps manage data collection and training new employees, residents, and interns. May perform other functions normally associated with a Pharmacy Technician I.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with other health care professionals as needed for problem resolution and/or achievement of identified patient specific goals.
2. Proactively supports and assists with training new employees and all other pharmacy learners (e.g. residents, interns, students and volunteers).
1. Assists with optimizing the safety and efficiency of pharmacy operations and to support the workflow needs of the pharmacy department.
2. Contributes in departmental efforts to resolve drug related problems and maximizing patient care.
3. Presents or assists in-services for pharmacy staff as directed by Pharmacy Management. Participates in workgroups, committees, and continuing education activities for technical staff.
1. Performs advanced technician services to ensure efficient and safe medication distribution with activities that include but are not limited to: controlled substance management, chemotherapy compounding, unit dose dispensing technology, satellite Operating Room and intensive care unit pharmacy assignments, medication histories, and advanced medication compounding.
2. Provides support to the workflow, and reports problems to the appropriate parties. Accurately documents and completes paperwork for assigned role/function.
3. Reports “near misses” and inputs errors promptly into PSN to improve processes and identify trends. Contributes to identification of corrective actions and improvement activities, and to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety.
4. Collects and reports data related quality improvement and productivity projects to optimize patient safety in a routine and timely manner.
1. Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Recommends solutions in achieving departmental objectives.
2. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks.
1. Assists Pharmacy Management in planning, developing, implementing, and monitoring new pharmacy programs and services that address medication related errors and safety initiatives.
2. Identifies simple process improvement opportunities in the medication distribution process.
3. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Pharmacy Technician II.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
*See manager for details and tracking certification information
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.