Job Ref: 27351
Talent Area: Laboratory
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assures the appropriate course of action in problem resolution for specific areas of responsibility.
2. Assures effective training of students and others. (Refer to Primary Instructor job description when applicable.)
3. Participates in the development and implementation of new procedures and the review and revision of existing procedures.
4. Assists in maintaining the requirements necessary to meet accreditation and government standards.
5. Processes specimens to be evaluated.
6. Performs and interprets routine and complex analyses offered by the section accurately and efficiently according to established procedures.
7. Assures that accurate and orderly records are maintained.
8. Uses independent judgment and discretion to recognize problems, identify causes and take corrective action.
9. Generally works well with others making contributions to the work effort as a whole. Facilitates problem resolution. Communication to promote both efforts is clear and professional.
10. Performs and correlates quality control data to assess/validate test results and procedures.
11. Performs and documents routine equipment preventive maintenance and minor repairs. Resolves equipment problems and coordinates repairs.
12. Readily evaluates and implements changes of new and/or revised procedures as directed by the manager.
13. Demonstrates the components of the I CARE values statement.
14. Demonstrates Service PRIDE standards.
15. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards.
16. Performs other duties as assigned. Utilizes spare time to seek out and complete extra tasks.
Must have a baccalaureate degree in a related field and either successful completion of an accredited Medical Technology program, or completion of a combination of education and experience as defined by American Society of Clinical Pathology as alternate routes for eligibility for the MT (ASCP) exam.
Must be bored eligible upon hire and must successfully pass the ASCP registry exam within one calendar year from date of hire.
Minimum of 3 years of work or training experience in a large hospital laboratory.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Must be certified as a Medical Technologist MT (or categorical certification) by the Board of Registry (ASCP), OR as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist CLS (or categorical certification) by NCA, OR have a discipline specific certification, OR certified by the American Board of Histocompatibility and Immunogenic (ABHI) OR certification by the American Society of Microbiologists.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Knowledge of the functional discipline of the area of responsibility.
2. Knowledge of sectional processes and procedures.
3. Skill in developing and maintaining interpersonal relationships as required in the operating environment.
4. Skill in verbal and written communication.
5. Skill in planning and organizing the area of responsibility.
6. Ability to analyze and solve problems.
7. Must meet the requirements on the competency checklist for assigned work area.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.