Job Ref: 27379
Talent Area: Nursing Asst. / Medical Asst.
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital
Houston, TX 77070
Area/Department: Nursing Unit-WN6E
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Week: Weeknights plus rotated weekends
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital opened its doors to Northwest Houston in December 2000. In May 2010, a major expansion on the 52-acre campus doubled the size of the hospital, brining more expertise, more state-of-the-art technology and more specialized care to the community. With 251 licensed beds, 16 operating rooms and over 1,600 employees, Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital was specifically designed to provide comprehensive, personalized care for the community.
The Patient Care Associate II (PCA II) works in partnership with the licensed nurse to support the delivery of care in an environment that promotes caring and healing. The Patient Care Associate II demonstrates basic knowledge and skills necessary to communicate appropriately and carry out delegated tasks for age specific populations under the supervision of a licensed nurse. He/she records data established by policy and procedure, and reports observations and patient problems to the licensed nurse. The Patient Care Associate II is responsible for assigned non-nursing functions. Has demonstrated competencies or has certification for education of advanced skills such as phlebotomy and stoma care. The PCA II practices Relationship Centered Care in concert with the Methodist Health Care System values of Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect and Excellence.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provides care to patients assigned within unit specific defined limits.
2. Performs treatment and procedures in accordance with established policies and procedures:
1. Housewide skills 2. Unit-specific skills 3. High-risk/low frequency/waived test skills 4. Completes competencies listed on PCAII Orientation Checklist
3. Reports observations, conditions and problems of patients to the licensed nurse.
4. Records care administered according to established procedures.
5. Maintains a clean and organized environment.
6. Demonstrates an understanding and commitment to maintaining an environment that assures all customers, all individuals, are treated with dignity and respect. Employee actively participates in making recommendations for improving working relationships in the department/unit.
7. Utilizes Relationship-centered Care principles (partner with the patient/family, greet and introduce self, make eye contact and smile, listen and respond with empathy, display appropriate body language at all times, and use a pleasant tone of voice) to enhance patient/customer satisfaction.
8. Demonstrates the components of the ICARE values statement to all customers including co-workers. Accepts constructive feedback as opportunity to improve customer satisfaction. Shows flexibility and accountability in meeting scheduling requirements.
9. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
10. Takes responsibility for reviewing hospital communication, revised/new policies and procedures, staff meeting minutes (100%) and attends at least 8 staff meetings per calendar year. 11. Performs other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or GED is required.
If certified (CNA or MA), then >6 months acute care hospital Nursing Assistant experience,
If not certified, then 18 months acute care hospital Nursing Assistant experience,
12 months HMHS PCA experience
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
American Heart Association Healthcare Provider BLS
Certification as Nursing Assistant or Medical Assistant depending on the experience requirements as noted above,
Crisis Prevention Intervention certification within 6 months from hire.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Evidence of required competencies for unit assigned
Must be able to write and speak effectively in English.
Computer knowledge and ability to use Hospital Information Systems and Office software
Medical terminology preferred.
Must demonstrate interpersonal skills with all levels of healthcare team.
Demonstrates initiative, flexibility and positive interpersonal skills with all levels of the health care team.
Patient care units, and invasive procedure areas.
May include exposure to hazardous chemicals and blood borne pathogens. Significant potential for exposure to latex. Adherence to universal precautions is required.
Extended periods of standing and walking are required.
Able to flex hours and work days to meet need related to unanticipated acuity, volume changes and/or problems.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.