Work Shift: DAY: 7AM-3PM
Work Week: Varies
Houston Methodist The Woodlands will be the eighth in the Houston Methodist system, offering The Woodlands community a full-service, acute care hospital with many of the same services as our flagship hospital in the Texas Medical Center. The $380 million campus will feature a new 187-bed, 470,000-square-foot facility.
Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital, located at the intersection of TX 242 and I-45, is scheduled to open in July 2017. Construction includes a 150,000-square-foot medical building, which opened March 2016. The Medical Office Building 1 includes a Breast Care Center, Cancer Center & Infusion Center, Orthopedics & Sports Medicine, Wellness Services, Outpatient Laboratory and Therapy, in addition to multi-specialty physician practices.
Responsible for overseeing day-to-day Public Safety operations and emergent activities of Public Safety staff that provide safety and security for HMTW staff, patients and visitors of Houston Methodist Hospital System. Supervises daily shift activities which includes reviewing staffing levels to ensure compliance with facilities coverage and following programs and processes that reduce and control loss time injuries. In addition, serves as the next higher level of reporting for Public Safety customers, regularly inspects on-site and off-site posts and facilities, Investigates incidents and/or customer complaints and compiles data for accurate reporting, is the subject matter expert for normal Public Safety operations, and is the senior Public Safety representative in the absence of Manager or Director. Other duties include, but not limited to, safety direction, quality assurance, planning, organizing, directing and managing the Public Safety staff during normal and emergency operations, and Provides support for the Director and HMTW’s goals and vision.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
- Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
- Focuses on patient/customer safety
- Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
- Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
- Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
- Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE - 40%
- Proactively monitors the environment to ensure the safety and security of not only HMTW patients, guests, and staff, but all assigned physical property.
- Work with patients, visitors and HMTW staff to file appropriate paperwork associated with security related issues.
- Ensures that day to day security operations are conducted in accordance with HMTW and Public Safety policies and procedures.
- Continually emphasizes HMTW mission and Public Safety vision with 4 key values of; knowledge, training, teamwork and technology.
- Ensures that all Public Safety personnel are properly trained and complies with all policies and procedures.
- Consults Public Safety leadership on staff performance and any HR related issues.
- Creates and maintains an environment of collaboration and teamwork.
- Participates in the hiring process, selecting and developing new hires into the department
- Uses professional telephone etiquette when answering HMTW business phones; uses positive language.
- Actively responds to those who need assistance.
- Maintains high customer satisfaction while providing the highest level of safety and security to patients, visitors, staff and assets.
SERVICE - 30%
- Supervises security responses to expected and emergent situations. Expected to respond and remain on site throughout duration of same.
- Interacts with multiple departments to ensure seamless flow of information/communication.
- (EFEnsures that all reports are accurate and produced within department timeline.
- Demonstrates emergency preparedness knowledge, participates in drills and actual events according to the emergency preparedness plan.
- Conducts table top drills on assigned scenarios and subject matters.
- Participates in competencies review, Focal Point Review, Employee Opinion Survey process for reporting staff.
- Investigates to determine root cause of reported incidences as assigned by manager.
- Provides a consistent and exceptional level of service daily.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
- Proactively provides input in all area of Public Safety operations.
- Always presents self in a professional manner by adhering to the Public Safety Uniform Policy.
- Identifies and addresses all department/personnel deficiencies.
- Completes reports by recording observations, information, occurrences and surveillance activities. Interviewing witnesses; obtaining signatures.
- Responds immediately to all codes as needed.
- Uses 5 W’s (Who, What, When, Why, Where) effectively.
- Understand HIPAA and Patient confidentiality compliance.
FINANCE - 5%
- Recognizes the relationship between essential and non-essential department expenditures, i.e. unnecessary overtime.
- Maintains oversight of required security equipment, its purchase, or maintenance to ensure proper functionality.
- Prevents potential financial loss and damages by reporting irregularities, informing violators of policy and procedures.
- Maintains organization’ stability and reputation by complying with all legal requirements and policies.
- Utilizes and maintains HMTW and department equipment according to manufacturer specifications.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 5%
- Ensures compliance of assigned training modules by Public Safety staff, participates in training, and make suggestion that improve Public Safety skill sets.
- Provides and maintains expertise on security operations and systems.
- Provides support for the director’s/manager’s goals and vision along with departmental initiaitives.
- Understand and acknowledge all department communication(email; bulletin boards).
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Associate’s Degree in a related field.
3 years’ experience in a security related field. Healthcare security experience preferred. Military or law enforcement background a plus. IAHSS Supervisory Certification may be substituted for 1 one year of experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Must be eligible for licensing by the Texas Department of Public Safety Private Security Bureau. Current Texas Driver License a must.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Proficient in spreadsheet, word-processing, and presentation software, e.g. Microsoft Office.
- Ability to team build and sustain interpersonal relationships within the hospital environment .
- Professional handling of exposure to confidential/sensitive information.
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
Normal office environment. Walks or stands for long periods of time to perform functions of the job. Professional office attire required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.