Job Ref: 27471
Talent Area: IT/Telecommunications
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: IT - Telecom Operator Services
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Answer incoming calls and place outgoing calls via the hospital-wide centralized call processing operation servicing hospital personnel, private practice physicians, residents, patients, and the public. Also, may perform administrative and clerical tasks as needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assists customers in obtaining information, directions, and services.
Assists customers in obtaining patient information.
2. Performs clerical tasks as assigned by Team Coordinator or Supervisor.
3. Page Operator – page employees and physicians and make hospital wide pages and
4. Code Blue – dispatch the Code Blue Team and verify that the team has arrived.
Also, performs weekly Code Blue Testing for Code Blue pager response.
5. C.E.R.T. – dispatch the C.E.R.T. Team and verify that the team has arrived.
Also, performs weekly C.E.R.T. Testing for C.E.R.T. pager response.
6. STEMI – dispatch the STEMI Team and verify that the team received the page.
Also, performs daily STEMI Testing for STEMI pager response.
7. Fire Line – dispatch the Fire Brigade Team, 911 and notify all other areas specified of
a Dr. Pyro. Notify members of All Clear, this includes drills and actual events.
8. Intercept – answer calls that are re-routed to operator due to no answer from
department or employee.
9. Emergency Dispatch – responsible for processing Internal and External disaster
Plans, by notifying appropriate hospital management.
10. Pager Services – assists employees and physicians with obtaining a temporary or
replacement pager using the BossAccess Self Administration Program.
11. TTY – monitor and respond to calls placed to the TTY machine for the hearing
12. 911 Phone – monitor and follow-up on calls placed to 911 from within The Methodist
13. Maintain On-Call Schedules for hospital department call teams and medicine on call
14. Memo Book – maintain memos regarding coverage and responsibilities sent from
departments, employees, and physicians.
15. After Hours Help Desk – distribute telephones to unites that have a broken, stolen or
lost patient telephone. Contact on-call telephone technician for all phone repairs and
create a repair ticket via email for telephone issues that can wait for the next
16. SMART Alert- monitor AMCOM system for errors.
17. Monitor equipment and perform routine maintenance and troubleshooting tasks on
the integrated telemessaging and paging systems.
18. Perform other duties as assigned or defines in the divisional job description and
performance evaluation form, and in divisional and TMH policies and procedures.
19. Demonstrate competence in Safety and Hazard Communications.
20. Demonstrate I CARE Values to Co-Workers, Customers, and Patients.
21. Demonstrate SERVICE PRIDE standards to Co-Workers, Customers, and Patients.
Requires High School Diploma or G.E.D.
Two (2) years experience in call processing, dispatching, and customer service.
Minimum typing skills of 30 wpm.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Knowledge and understanding of telecommunications equipment and services
including: call processing, paging, and audio monitoring systems.
2. Knowledge of personal computer functions and Windows-based software preferably
integrated telemessaging, Microsoft Mail and MS. Office.
3. Must have the ability to understand and resolve problems and excellent telephone
customer service and interpersonal skills.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.