Job Ref: 26693
Talent Area: Nursing Management
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Observation Unit-J8
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
The Nursing Manager is a registered nurse who has 24-hour comprehensive operational responsibility for the delivery and quality of patient care provided in the designated areas(s) of responsibility. The manager assists with developing and implementing performance initiatives to ensure optimal patient safety and outcomes and customer satisfaction. Demonstrates leadership qualities and critical thinking through self-direction, initiative, effective interpersonal skills and oral/written communications skills. Fosters interdepartmental/interdisciplinary collaboration. Participates in committees, representing unit and Nursing in a positive manner.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Varies by Nursing Unit
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Prepares measurable goals and objectives that are consistent with The Methodist Hospital System priorities, and develops action plans for achieving goals, incorporating collaborative efforts if appropriate.
2. Ensures that unit consistently achieves desired outcomes for patient care, including high degree of patient and physician satisfaction.
3. Manages unit expenses within approved budget parameters.
4. Implements change, demonstrating the ability to motivate employees and follow through to ensure change in behavior has actually occurred.
5. Plans coverage of unit to maximize presence of management and staff.
6. Maintains ongoing interactions with patients, families, physicians, and staff on how to improve patient care and service provided.
7. Functions as role model to staff, reinforcing principles of service orientation and ensuring that the focus is always on improving patient care.
8. Demonstrates initiative in identifying developmental needs of staff and taking appropriate action, including collaboration with unit educator.
9. Collaborates with others to ensure unit systems are effective and consistent with other patient care unit systems.
10. Selects, retains, and effectively develops unit staff and management personnel, utilizing performance appraisals, corrective counseling, and commendations to achieve desired outcomes.
11. Responds to employee, patient and physician concerns, taking appropriate action and channeling concerns according to appropriate procedures.
12. Establishes effective, two way communication with staff.
13. Develops staffing plans and schedules to meet patient care needs that reflect understanding of the importance of cost-effectiveness.
14. Demonstrates problem solving skills to include investigation, identification of cause(s) and development of corrective action, and submits reports which require minimal editing.
15. Demonstrates the components of the ICARE values statement.
16. Demonstrates SERVICE PRIDE standards.
17. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor hazards.
18. Performs other duties as assigned.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.