Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Houston Methodist The Woodlands will be the eighth in the Houston Methodist system, offering The Woodlands community a full-service, acute care hospital with many of the same services as our flagship hospital in the Texas Medical Center. The $380 million campus will feature a new 187-bed, 470,000-square-foot facility.
Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital, located at the intersection of TX 242 and I-45, is scheduled to open in July 2017. Construction includes a 150,000-square-foot medical building, which opened March 2016. The Medical Office Building 1 includes a Breast Care Center, Cancer Center & Infusion Center, Orthopedics & Sports Medicine, Wellness Services, Outpatient Laboratory and Therapy, in addition to multi-specialty physician practices.
The Nursery Level II Nursing Manager is a registered nurse who has 24-hour comprehensive operational responsibility for the delivery and quality of patient care provided in the designated areas(s) of responsibility. The manager assists with developing and implementing performance initiatives to ensure optimal patient safety and outcomes and customer satisfaction. Demonstrates leadership qualities and critical thinking through self-direction, initiative, effective interpersonal skills and oral/written communications skills. Fosters interdepartmental/interdisciplinary collaboration. Participates in committees, representing unit and Nursing in a positive manner.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
- Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
- Focuses on patient/customer safety
- Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
- Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
- Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
- Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE - 20%
- Implements change, demonstrating the ability to motivate employees and follow through to ensure change in behavior has actually occurred.
- Selects, retains, and effectively develops unit staff and management personnel, utilizing performance appraisals, corrective counseling, and commendations to achieve desired outcomes.
- Establishes effective, two way communication with staff.
- Demonstrates problem solving skills to include investigation, identification of cause(s) and development of corrective action, and submits reports which require minimal editing.
- Demonstrates the components of the ICARE values statement.
SERVICE - 20%
- Ensures that unit consistently achieves desired outcomes for patient care, including high degree of patient and physician satisfaction.
- Plans coverage of unit to maximize presence of management and staff.
- Maintains ongoing interactions with patients, families, physicians, and staff on how to improve patient care and service provided.
- Functions as role model to staff, reinforcing principles of service orientation and ensuring that the focus is always on improving patient care.
- Responds to employee, patient and physician concerns, taking appropriate action and channeling concerns according to appropriate procedures.
- Demonstrates SERVICE PRIDE standards.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
- Collaborates with others to ensure unit systems are effective and consistent with other patient care unit systems.
- Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor hazards.
FINANCE - 20%
- Manages unit expenses within approved budget parameters.
- Develops staffing plans and schedules to meet patient care needs that reflect understanding of the importance of cost-effectiveness.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
- Prepares measurable goals and objectives that are consistent with The Methodist Hospital System priorities, and develops action plans for achieving goals, incorporating collaborative efforts if appropriate.
- Demonstrates initiative in identifying developmental needs of staff and taking appropriate action, including collaboration with unit educator.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Bachelor of Science required. Masters degree preferred. One degree must be in Nursing.
Progressively responsible experience in a clinical setting for a minimum of 5 years. Leadership experience preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Must be able to obtain a valid Texas RN license within 90 days of employment.
Current American Heart BLS and ACLS required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Maintains knowledge base necessary to manage specific clinical area.
- Computer skills: knowledge of hospital information systems and office applications.
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
Patient care unit conditions. Universal precaution required. Extended periods of walking and standing required. Minimal lifting, pushing and pulling required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.