Job Ref: 27562
Talent Area: Research - Technical
Houston Methodist Research Institute
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Immunobiology Research
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Houston Methodist Research Institute was formed in 2004 to rapidly and efficiently translate discoveries made in the laboratory and the clinic into new diagnostics, therapies and treatments. The research institute was created to provide the infrastructure and support for these endeavors, and to house the technology and resources needed to make innovative breakthroughs in important areas of human disease. A 540,000 square foot building dedicated to research, the research institute houses over 1,500 staff and trainees, 277 principal investigators and has more than 840 ongoing clinical trials.
This position is designed for educational and research experience for individuals working towards Masters or Doctoral degrees. The Graduate Research Fellow conducts advanced and innovative research projects in biomedical sciences, which typically results in publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals with them listed as the first author. The work may be in a laboratory setting or may consist of computer work that supports the department`s research mission. This position will work independently under general faculty supervision to conduct literature research, research hypothesis generation, research planning, experiments, data analysis and manuscript and thesis writing, as required by typical graduate degree programs. .
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Develops research methods and performs research activities.
2. Documents research results and writes reports of results for presentation and/or publication in professional journals and other publications.
3. Assists in maintaining the functionality and operations of the Principal Investigator`s laboratory.
4. Animal handling, which may include animal husbandry
5. Collection and organized storage of tissue and blood specimens
6. Work on and contribute to collaborative research teams
7. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
8. Demonstrates the components of the I CARE values.
9. Adheres to policies & procedures established by TMHRI.
10. Performs other duties as assigned by the Principal Investigator.
Bachelor`s degree required. Must be enrolled in a Master`s or Doctor of Medicine (Ph.D.) degree program.
Experience requirement will vary depending upon the individual department`s field of research.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Requires effective written & verbal communication skills
2. Time management skills
3. Experience with database/spreadsheet
4. Requires knowledge of good laboratory practice
5. Familiarity with multiple research methodologies, techniques, and resources.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.