Job Ref: 27627
Talent Area: Research - Clinical
Houston Methodist Research Institute
Houston, TX 77030
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: Varies
Houston Methodist Research Institute was formed in 2004 to rapidly and efficiently translate discoveries made in the laboratory and the clinic into new diagnostics, therapies and treatments. The research institute was created to provide the infrastructure and support for these endeavors, and to house the technology and resources needed to make innovative breakthroughs in important areas of human disease. A 540,000 square foot building dedicated to research, the research institute houses over 1,500 staff and trainees, 277 principal investigators and has more than 840 ongoing clinical trials.
The Laboratory Manager provides administrative support and management of a laboratory in the Methodist Hospital Research Institute. The Laboratory Manager will operate to ensure proper budgetary, operational needs/capabilities, and safety compliance for the laboratory. Ensures appropriate laboratory compliance with institutional and accrediting agency regulations. Establishes scheduling and usage of laboratory resources.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Select the applicable age group(s) of primary customers/patients served by this position.
¿ Not applicable
¿ Neonate (Birth to 28 days)
¿ Infants/Toddlers (29 days to 18 months)
¿ Toddler (18 months to 3 years)
¿ Preschooler (3-6 years)
¿ School Age (6-12 years)
¿ Adolescence (12-18 years)
¿ Young Adult (19-40 Years)
¿ Middle Adult (40-65 Years)
¿ Mature Adult (65 years and older)
System and department specific ICARE values
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
1. Provide operations and safety management for laboratory staff.
2. Assist PI's with scientific management of staff as needed.
3. Provide operations and safety training for new staff and PI's.
1. Work with Department Administration to manage Department budgets.
2. Provide PI's and Laboratory staff support for purchase of laboratory supplies and equipment.
1. Establish and maintain Laboratory Specific Safety Manual.
2. Establish and maintain Laboratory Study Methods. All laboratory procedures run in the laboratory must be included in this manual, RE-38.
3. Provide periodic safety and operations training as needed.
4. Maintain equipment inventory and work with Biomedical Engineering/GE Healthcare for regular maintenance/service.
1. Provide Department with Laboratory Administration services including purchasing of supply and equipment, maintaining required safety and operations documentation, and assisting PI's with laboratory operations management.
2. Provide HMRI Central Lab Ops with requested information and updates as needed.
1. Assist Department Scientific Leadership with operationalization of strategic initiatives.
2. Participate in Departments future planning and budgeting processes.
This position description is not intended to be all inclusive, and the employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other management as required. The Houston Methodist Hospital reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Bachelor¿s Degree in one of the natural sciences required.
Five plus years' of experience in laboratory based work.
Three years' experience in laboratory administrative processes including purchasing, scheduling and safety management.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
¿ Expertise in a Core Facility/Laboratory specific scientific area, e.g. Flow Cytometry, Biorepository Management, MRI
¿ Skilled at managing multiple projects with conflicting priorities.
¿ Ability to develop and effectively deliver presentations.
¿ Excellent interpersonal skills.
¿ Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Work, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
¿ Aptitude to learn computer based Core management/invoicing systems (iLab, VELOS, LAMBS)
Generally, work is done in an office, laboratory, vivarium, or production facility environment with pleasant working conditions. There is good lighting and ventilation, it is reasonably quiet, and the work hours are reasonably regular.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.