Job Ref: 27632
Talent Area: Laboratory
Houston Methodist Research Institute
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Cntr for Inflam & Epigen Rsrch
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Houston Methodist Research Institute was formed in 2004 to rapidly and efficiently translate discoveries made in the laboratory and the clinic into new diagnostics, therapies and treatments. The research institute was created to provide the infrastructure and support for these endeavors, and to house the technology and resources needed to make innovative breakthroughs in important areas of human disease. A 540,000 square foot building dedicated to research, the research institute houses over 1,500 staff and trainees, 277 principal investigators and has more than 840 ongoing clinical trials.
Performs scientific analyses and tests required for research under moderate supervision. Collects and records data.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Handling human and/or animal tissue.
2. Animal handling, which may include tail cutting, breeding, weaning, euthanasia, minor surgical procedures and basic animal husbandry.
3. Bench chemistry, microbiology, molecular biology or other scientific techniques.
4. Microscope work and image analysis.
5. Write laboratory protocols or procedures.
6. Collection of tissue, blood or other biological specimens.
7. Collect and compile data.
8. Order laboratory supplies and equipment.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
HS with 2-5 years of relative laboratory experience Or AA with no experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Requires effective written and verbal communication skills.
2. Requires effective time management skills
3. Requires experience with computer spreadsheets and databases.
4. Requires Microsoft Office skills.
5. Some Independent action and judgment are required.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.