Job Ref: 27676
Talent Area: Food Service
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital
Baytown, TX 77521
Area/Department: Food&Nutr Serv - Garth
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY/EVENING - Shifts vary, includes weekends and holidays
Work Week: Sunday - Saturday
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, located 35 miles southeast of Houston, is the area's only full-service hospital offering specialized medical care for patients at every stage in life. This 392 licensed bed hospital with 18 operating rooms, and over 1,400 employees, brings Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and surrounding counties.
Responsible for the preparation of hot and cold food items; cooking and storage of food for patients, customers and employees of the hospital and Catered Events.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Adolescent, Adult and Geriatric
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Demonstrates the ICARE values.(EF)
2. Demonstrates team work with fellow employees in the dietary office. (EF)
3. Communicates appropriately with peers and management. (EF)
4. Prepares food according to standardized recipes, menu, safe food handling and time schedule.(EF)
5. Garnishes food as instructed by manager. Inspects all foods for quality, freshness and appearance.
6. Tastes food for palatability prior to each meal service to ensure highest quality.(EF)
7. Portions food according to diet and recipe.(EF)
8. Responsible for cold and hot food preparation when assigned. (EF)
9. Checks food temperatures and records for each meal service.(EF)
10. Checks cooler and warmer temperatures twice daily and records them properly. (EF)
11. Reports and corrects improper food, cooler and warmer temperatures.(EF)
12. Notifies management appropriately with changes to menu items due to unforeseen events; ie spoilage, shortage, etc. (EF)
13. Preps food for the next day per retail or room service cycle menus.(EF)
14. Prep for scheduled catering events one day prior to event. (EF)
15. Covers, labels and dates all food items. Maintains proper storage and sanitation of all items in storage, refrigerators and freezers.(EF)
16. Maintains proper sanitation of work area and equipment. Uses and follows all safety techniques in handling of equipment.(EF)
17. Practices good cost control through the proper use and storage of food, supplies and equipment.(EF)
18. Performs other duties as assigned.(EF)
19. Working knowledge of Serve Safe guidelines and Health department standards. (EF)
20. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding hazards identified in the work place.(EF)
High School Diploma or GED
Ability to read, write and understand English.
2 Years production cooking experience preferred
Knowledge of food service equipment and sanitation standards.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Texas Food Handlers Certificate through American National Standards Institute (ANSI) is required effective 9/1/2016.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.