Job Ref: 27800
Talent Area: RN - Med/Surg
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital
Baytown, TX 77521
Area/Department: Nursing Unit-3 West
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Part-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: 7AM - 7PMWork Week
two - 12 hour shifts; rotating weekends and holidays
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, located 35 miles southeast of Houston, is the area's only full-service hospital offering specialized medical care for patients at every stage in life. This 392 licensed bed hospital with 18 operating rooms, and over 1,400 employees, brings Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and surrounding counties.
The Student Professional Nurse is accountable and responsible for nursing care administered under the direction of a Registered Nurse. The Student Professional Nurse demonstrates clinical knowledge and skills to carry out delegated tasks for age specific populations described in unit(s) scope of service. Demonstrates appropriate communication skills and interpersonal relationships. The Student Professional Nurse practices Relationship Centered Care in concert with The Methodist Hospital values of Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect and Excellence and ServicePride standards.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Service area specific – may include:
Infant Birth to 1 year
Toddler 2-3 years
Preschooler 4-5 years
School Age 6-11 years
Adolescent 12-19 years
Adulthood 20-65 years
Late Adulthood/Geriatrics 65+ years
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Performs direct patient care, treatments and procedures in accordance with established policies and standards of the hospital as outlined in the plan of care.
2. Identifies and communicates patient problems/needs and interventions performed to the Registered Nurse assigned.
3. Functions as a team member, responding willingly to colleagues needs for assistance and partnership.
4. Seeks guidance as needed when performing delegated nursing skills by utilizing resource persons, policy and procedure manuals, or other references on standards of care.
5. Accurately observes and reports pertinent information related to the patient and the plan of care to the appropriate licensed nurse.
6. Legally documents delegated observations and interventions in the medical record according to policy and procedure.
7. Reinforces health care information/teaching provided by the Registered Nurse to the patient and family.
8. Participates in nursing care conferences and discharge planning with the patient, family and other members of the health care team.
9. Acts as patient advocate by preserving patient’s rights, privacy, and confidentiality.
10. Demonstrates the components of the I CARE values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Excellence).
11. Demonstrates ServicePride Standards (smiles and makes eye contact; greets each patient and visitor; seeks out patient and visitor contact; displays appropriate body language at all times; takes 5 minutes each day to go above and beyond for one patient or visitor; honors diversity; thanks every customer).
12. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
Enrollment in an accredited professional (RN) school of nursing
Satisfactory completion of at least one clinical nursing semester
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Current BLS Certification Required
(Must be American Heart Association BCLS "Healthcare Provider")
For San Jac: Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI) / Nonviolent Crisis Intervention (NVCI) required, within 90 days, for Emergency or Psychiatry Departments Only.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Must be able to write and speak effectively in English
See attached ADA Activity checklist
Patient care unit conditions
Universal Precautions required
Lifting, pushing, and pulling required (minimum 50 lbs.)
Extended periods of walking and standing required
Significant potential for exposure to latex
Student Professional Nurse – Skills List
Category I – Skills/Tasks which may be delegated after demonstration of competency.
1. Patient transfer – including patients being transferred from ICU without chest tubes, ventilator or cardiac monitor, but not from acute care to ICU. **Does not include report or documentation of transfer assessment.
2. Patient transportation for discharge
3. Care of valuables
4. Activities of daily living – to include AROM and bed to chair transfers
5. Temperature (oral, rectal, tympanic) – except for admission assessment
6. Pulse (apical) – except for admission assessment
7. Blood Pressure – except for admission assessment
8. Respirations – except for admission assessment
9. Neuro-vital signs
10. Non-sterile application of heat and cold
11. Collection of non-sterile specimens (urine, stool, sputum)
12. Intake and output
13. Skin care
14. Isolation techniques
15. Maintaining traction and orthopedic appliances
16. EKG lead placement
17. OR Manager documentation of above nursing care.
18. Set up of OR equipment
Category II – Skills/Tasks which may be delegated after demonstration of competency.
NOTE: Certain unit skills may be added – must be consistent with the Nurse Practice Rules of Delegation.
1. Pulse oximetry
2. Glucose monitoring
3. Insertion of Foley catheter
4. Blood draw (venipuncture)
5. Enemas, Fleets
Category III – Skills/Tasks which may be performed ONLY under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse
1. NG Tube insertion
2. Oral/Tracheal suctioning
3. IV starts vs Veniputure with an IV angiocath
Category IV – Skills/Tasks which may not be delegated
1. Medication Administration
2. Administration of blood or blood products
3. Physical assessment, to include admission or transfer assessment
4. Accepting verbal or phone orders from physician or physician extender; Transcribe written, oral or verbal orders from physician or physician extender
5. Initial patient/family education
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.