Job Ref: 27837
Talent Area: Administrative/Clerical
Houston Methodist West Hospital
Houston, TX 77094
Area/Department: Pat Acc Serv-Comm
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Part-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAYWork Week
Part Time Saturday & Sunday, 12 hour shifts, 7a - 7p
Houston Methodist West Hospital is committed to leading medicine in West Houston, Katy and surrounding communities by delivering the Houston Methodist standard of exceptional safety, quality, personalized service and innovation. The growing campus offers nearly 200 beds, 16 operating rooms and over 1300 employees, with access to the most innovative medical and surgical care available, including robotic and minimally invasive surgery, full-spectrum heart care, state-of-the-art imaging, cancer care, labor and delivery with a level II neonatal ICU, neurology and neurosurgery, orthopedics and sports medicine, outpatient rehabilitation and 24/7 emergency services.
SUMMARY Responsible for the efficient operation and use of the switchboard and paging system to receive and relay calls or messages to the requested party or hospital area. Assists patients, physicians and staff with general information, monitors all hospital alarm systems and serves as a vital link in the communication process during emergencies and codes. Strives to make the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of those served top priority. Delivers excellent customer service in a manner consistent with our ICARE Values. Maintains positive interaction with co-workers and other department personnel. Uses resources efficiently to ensure quality.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Responds to incoming calls in a timely manner and directs caller to appropriate destination providing a smooth, clear and professionally courteous communication practice.
2. Responds quickly and accurately to disaster and emergency situations as required. Announces MWH emergencies through the overhead paging system and facilitates communication during emergencies.
3. Effectively utilizes telecommunications hardware and software including problem or failure diagnosis techniques.
4. Maintains and updates department databases for call processing and paging, as well as locator information for physicians, management, department employees and on-call personnel.
5. Maintains correct department ph1 roster for MWH. Primary accountability for insuring this information is posted on the Hospital`s intranet web site.
6. Communicates pertinent information to co-workers to ensure proper handling and processing of calls when away from the operator position.
7. Protects patient/coworker confidentiality and privacy.
8. Supports an environment of respect and dignity to those served. Communicates openly in a non-judgmental and professional demeanor during all interactions with coworkers.
9. Demonstrates the componets of the I CARE values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence).
10. Demonstrates ServicePRIDE Standards (smiles and makes eye contact; greets each patient and visitor; seeks out patient and visitor contact; displays appropriate body language at all times; takes 5 minutes each day to go above and beyond for 1 patient or visitor; honors diversity; thanks every customer).
11. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS 1 year of PBX operator experience, preferably in a health care setting.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED N/A
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Good memory skills and ability to work under stress are required.
2. Experience working with Computers to access data.
3. Data entry skills necessary to complete internal memorandums.
4. Public relations skills necessary to communicate effectively with the public in a courteous, professional and helpful manner.
5. Must be organized and attentive to detail and maintain confidentiality.
6. Excellent communication skills required, Bilingual is a plus.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.