Job Ref: 27860
Talent Area: IT/Telecommunications
Houston, TX 77054
Area/Department: IT - Med Device Integration
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Houston Methodist (HM) is one of the nation’s leading health systems and academic medical centers. HM consists of 7 hospitals: Houston Methodist Hospital, its flagship academic hospital in the heart of the Texas Medical Center and six community hospitals throughout the greater Houston metropolitan area. HM also includes a research institute, a global business division, numerous physician practices and several free standing emergency rooms and outpatient facilities. Overall, HM employs over 20,000 employees. FORBES magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of Best Employers in 2016. Houston Methodist is supported by a wide variety of business functions that operate at the system level to help enable clinical departments to provide the best patient care and service in a spiritual environment.
Responsible for effectively managing the implementation and support functions for clinical or business systems. Effectively manages business work flow analysis, system definition, design, acquisition and implementation of new and modified computer systems. Manages vendor activities in conformance to contracts. Manages outside consultants and contractors who assist with implementation and support activities. Ensures that annual goals and objectives are met, as well as any other institutional strategies and priorities established as part of the annual planning process of the institution. Provides effective direction and guidance to personnel, delegates and assigns suitable responsibilities to suitable people. Possesses skills and ability to manage and guide others who test, diagnose problems, correct program malfunctions and recover from system errors and problems. Performs other duties as assigned or defined in the divisional job description and performance evaluation form.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
I. Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE - 25%
1. Recruit, train, motivate, evaluate and retain a staff of highly skilled information technology professionals
2. Leads and motivates employees through effective training strategies, personal development and career plans.
3. Coordinates clinical or business systems projects and related resources.
4. Communicates and collaborates effectively and in a clear manner with all levels within the organization.
5. Create and maintain a teamwork environment conducive to productive output, successful staff advancement and a rewarding work experience.
6. Develops strong collaboration with key customers and effectively manages difficult or crucial conversations.
7. Maintain solid relationships with business area leaders to ensure effective planning and scheduling of initiatives
SERVICE - 25%
1. Collaborates effectively with customers and peers to achieve effective, efficient use of clinical or business systems.
2. Plan, schedule, control and coordinate project work in alignment with project scope and project schedule.
3. Develop implementation approaches and project plans to deliver projects on schedule and on budget.
4. Ensure departmental project and implementation methodologies are utilized.
5. Demonstrate ability to analyze problems and business opportunities in order to extend information technology and enhance productivity.
6. Demonstrate and support the Methodist mission, vision and (ICARE) values.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
1. Provide timely and accurate information and reports to higher management levels, staff, and peers. Evaluates and summarizes problems, then presents alternative solutions and action plans.
2. Establishes, maintains and enforces departmental and application documentation and change control processes for system management according to ITIL standards.
3. Manage business system issues in order to ensure timely resolution of problems and effective communication.
4. Maintain overall process knowledge of key responsible systems.
5. Contract and manage specialists, technical team members or vendors in order to drive efficiency.
FINANCE - 15%
1. Develop and manage the annual operating expense and capital budgets for each responsible department and project.
2. Manages vendor software and service contracts, conformance to contract procedures, evaluating all expenditures to determine the most appropriate course of action.
3. Efficiently processes all invoices to insure compliance to contract terms and conditions.
4. Understands and manages to terms of all responsible contracts and agreements.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
1. Assesses customer needs as it relates to vendor product and service delivery, studies trends in inpatient, ambulatory, patient centric solutions and effectiveness metrics.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science/Programming or similar field highly desired. A two year technical/Associates degree with associated business experience is the minimum requirement.
6-8 years of experience managing IT projects and staff. Healthcare experience preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
¿ Ability to effectively apply project management principles as defined by the Project Management Institute (PMI).
¿ Understanding of clinical or business systems and a general understanding of information flows for clinical or business operations.
¿ Understanding of systems design and architecture as well as interfaces.
¿ Prior hands on experience in systems development or modification.
¿ Manage customer relations and enduser adoption
¿ Apply analytical analysis to support system optimization efforts
¿ Understand and apply application usability concept
¿ Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
¿ Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.