Job Ref: 27876
Talent Area: RN - Other
Houston Methodist St. John Hospital
Nassau Bay, TX 77058
Area/Department: Education Department
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Houston Methodist St. John Hospital is one of the newest members of the Houston Methodist family—extending its healing mission to the many communities in the Greater Bay Area. Located on the shores of Clear Lake across from the Johnson Space Center, the facility offers advanced medical and surgical care by team members called to serve with excellence and compassion:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Collaborating with clinical and management staff, coordinates consistent education for staff nurses, including orientation, comptentency validation, and professional development for assigned units and to meet Nursing`s strategic initiatives.
2. Collaborating with clinical and management staff, assesses educational and professional needs within assigned units on an ongoing basis utilizing unit metrics, nursing dashboards, interdisciplinary rounds, scorecards, accreditation recommendations, patient satisfaction scores, nursing satisfaction scores, and staff surveys. Participates in the assessment of institutional educational needs across units/departments.
3. Designs, implements, and evaluates programs to meet the identified needs using current curriculum development and evaluation strategies, current instructional technology, and adult theory to provide consistency, assure clinical comptentency of staff with respect to new technology or practice improvements, and support patient safety and the delivery of quality clinical services.
4. Designs methods to track the overall development of nursing staff in assigned areas.
5. Functions directly and indirectly as a clinical resource/consultant for patient care delivery by working with staff, management, patients/families, and/or other groups as applicable. Makes recommendations based on the patient`s status, safety, age, and growth and developmental needs. Directly intervenes or makes recommendations to meet the needs of staff and/or patient/families and facilitates multi disciplinary planning as needed to ensure patient safety and quality care.
6. Participates in the development, implementation, evaluation, and revision of standards of nursing care that affect nursing practice in specialty areas, as assigned. Develops proposals for implementation of new programs, projects, and/or nursing research.
7. Identifies unique and creative ways to assure accessibility and availability of clinical education programs to staff on all shifts and in all areas, identifying ways to provide learning experiences, evaluate learning, and assesses performance and comptentency, that are evidenced based, cost effective, and feasible for implementation in the clinical setting. (EF)
8. Provides consultation services to health care providers and patients/families within specialty areas, as assigned. (EF)
9. Participates in research activities and conducts evidenced based practice projects as indicated by the population served and staff and unit/department needs. (EF)
10. Participates in strategic planning for the department and nursing services. (EF)
11. Coordinates and/or teaches in existing educational programs and revises or participates in the revision of these programs as indicated. (EF)
12. Completes section and department reports and submits them as scheduled. (EF)
13. Coordinates, maintains, and submits as indicated all program records in a timely fashion. (EF)
14. Maintains and updates own professional knowledge base and clinical skills. 15. Demonstrates the components of the ICARE values statement.
16. Demonstrates SERVICE PRIDE standards.
17. Is knowledgeable of and follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor hazards.
18. Supports departmental activities and performs other job related duties, as assigned.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS Bachelors Degree required, Masters Degree preferred. Masters Degree may be in health or education field.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS Minimum of 3 years clinical experience in specialty area. Minimum of 2 years in education, staff development, or program development preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED Current Registered Nurse (RN) Texas licensure required.
Specialty certification in staff development or nursing education is preferred. Graduation from a specialty program required for selected positions (e.g. Wound and Ostomy) .
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Able to build evidence-based practice into the clinical setting.
2. Demonstrates ability to independently manage programs, staff, and large-scale projects.
3. Demonstrates ability to plan, organize, and follow through on assignments and/or projects.
4. Demonstrates leadership abilities, including collaborative, consultative and coaching skills.
5. Demonstrates interpersonal skills and highly effective verbal and written communication skills.
6. Able to speak and write English fluently
7. Able to speak in public, engage an audience, and utilize adult learning theory
8. Must have a working knowledge of Powerpoint, Microsoft Outlook, MS Word and Excel.
9. Demonstrates knowledge of current educational technologies
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.