Job Ref: 27969
Talent Area: Professional
Houston Methodist Research Institute
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: Grant Contracts
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Houston Methodist Research Institute was formed in 2004 to rapidly and efficiently translate discoveries made in the laboratory and the clinic into new diagnostics, therapies and treatments. The research institute was created to provide the infrastructure and support for these endeavors, and to house the technology and resources needed to make innovative breakthroughs in important areas of human disease. A 540,000 square foot building dedicated to research, the research institute houses over 1,500 staff and trainees, 277 principal investigators and has more than 840 ongoing clinical trials.
Under the direction of the Director: Grants and Contracts, the Grants and Contracts Specialist is responsible for various duties, which include establishment of new accounts, account analysis and reconciliation, invoice preparation, and financial statement preparation. The Grants and Contracts Specialist will become familiar with the TMHS corporate structure and its system of internal control as well as cost principles for the various granting agencies. The Grants and Contracts Specialist will be required to interface with various System departments including: Financial Accounting, Information Technology, Internal Audit, Employee Benefits, Accounts Payable, Treasury Management Services and Payroll, Risk Management and Legal Services. Position may require interface with external auditors to assist with information requests.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Maintains knowledge of and interprets granting agencies and TMHS` regulations regarding the receipt and administration of grants and contracts.
2. Reviews grant and contract proposals to assure compliance with granting agency requirements and TMHS policy.
3. Review and monitor expense transactions for conformance with granting agency guidelines.
4. Establish new awards in the Accounting system and coordinate the set-up of cost centers and budgets and work with department staff to ensure proper allocation of costs to new awards.
5. Prepare monthly and/or quarterly invoices as necessary and maintain an accounts receivable aging schedule.
6. Prepare, distribute, and monitor monthly time and effort reports for all individuals with committed or actual effort on all grants and contracts.
7. Prepare interim and final financial status reports in accordance with funding agency guidelines.
8. Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS Bachelor`s degree in Business or Finance
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS 1 year of related experience in research administration.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED N/A
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Through on-the-job experience must gain a working knowledge of grant and contract guidelines and cost principles.
2. Must have basic knowledge in the use of various personal computer based spreadsheet and word processing software applications (e.g., Microsoft Excel, Word, etc.).
3. Must possess good verbal and written communication skills.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.