Job Ref: 27972
Talent Area: Laboratory
Houston Methodist Hospital
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: System Laboratory Services
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
The System Director, Laboratory Services serves as the director responsible for the operational oversight and business expansion of laboratory services throughout Houston Methodist. He/she is responsible for the overall strategic vision and leadership for all Laboratory and Pathology services across the organization and the continuum of patient care. He/she ensures the Laboratory strategy and goals are in alignment with the institutional and organizational strategic areas of focus. The System Director maintains effective and collaborative relationships with the executives across the organization to maximize the success of the laboratory, hospitals and ultimately the organization. He/she will represent the laboratory in key internal/external committees and forums. He/she will provide oversight for design and operation of the entire laboratory process throughout the system, ensuring it is efficient and safe for the patients we serve. The System Director will provide financial leadership and oversight for all Laboratory budgets as well as maintain compliance with all regulatory bodies across the healthcare system.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Select the applicable age group(s) of primary customers/patients served by this position.
Neonate (Birth to 28 days)
Infants/Toddlers (29 days to 18 months)
Toddler (18 months to 3 years)
Preschooler (3-6 years)
School Age (6-12 years)
Adolescence (12-18 years)
Young Adult (19-40 Years)
Middle Adult (40-65 Years)
Mature Adult (65 years and older)
System and department specific ICARE values
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
1. Maintains appropriate working relationships with leaders across the organization.
2. Identifies, develops and utilizes the necessary relationships with internal and external key stakeholders to maximize the success of laboratory initiatives.
3. Demonstrates the ability to foster teamwork and take responsibility to ensure the delivery of high quality care and service to both patients and staff.
4. Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with the key hospital leaders, medical staff members, and other patient care leaders to ensure the safety, effectiveness, and quality of Laboratory Services
1. Ensures the financial performance of the departments are within approved capital and operating budgets, including the development of annual budgets, monitoring and managing department revenues and expenses.
2. Identifies, develops, implements and revises as needed physical facility, equipment, information systems, and/or other non-personnel needs to effectively support laboratory services and programs.
1. Provides vision, mission and corresponding annual goals for the laboratory and ensures consistency with the organization¿s strategic plan.
2. Ensures compliance with regulatory and accreditation requirements.
3. Identify and implement the use of appropriate metrics consistently across the System to Measure quality outcomes that will allow the development of performance improvement activities to improve those designated quality outcomes.
4. Promotes a Culture of Safety and safe laboratory practices across the organization.
5. Confirms that HM employs a sufficient number of laboratory personnel with the appropriate education, certification and either experience or training to provide appropriate laboratory management and performance of all other laboratory personnel job functions and activities as defined by departmental and organizational policies, regulatory board or agency rules, regulations and statutes, and accreditation and professional organization standards.
1. Represents the laboratory inside/outside the organization in relevant internal and external committees and forums.
2. Adheres to policy, procedures and plans that are in place to prevent workplace injury, violence or adverse outcome to associates and patients.
3. Coordinates the flow of information (internal and external) and communication throughout the laboratory to ensure the appropriate individuals are involved in all matters.
1. Promotes the Education and Research programs of the organization, including accredited residencies and undergraduate laboratory programs.
2. Continually monitors the healthcare environment and landscape to identify future growth and business expansion opportunities within the laboratory to enhance revenue, provide the highest quality care for our patients and/or maximize operational efficiencies.
3. Maximizes the use of automation and technology to provide safe, optimal patient care and/or improve operational efficiencies and support a high performing laboratory.
4. Expands and optimizes laboratory expertise in areas throughout the patient experience to provide to highest quality patient care.
This position description is not intended to be all inclusive, and the employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other management as required. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
1. Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology/Clinical Laboratory Sciences Degree required.
2. Master Degree in Business Administration or Healthcare Administration required.
Must have at least five years of previous hospital administrative experience in a large hospital as Director of Laboratory or equivalent experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Required Licenses/Certification: Must be certified as a MT/CLS(ASCP) by the Board of Registry (ASCP). Additional specialty certification by the Board of Registry DLM (ASCP) preferred.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Thorough knowledge of supervisory/managerial techniques and skills.
Current working knowledge of organization policies, procedures, and labor agreements.
Demonstrated ability to effectively lead large groups of laboratorians/technicians within a health system.
Must possess excellent time / project management skills and demonstrate ability to coordinate efforts of peers and other laboratory, nursing, administrative and medical staffs.
Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
Must be proficient in the use of personal computers and related software.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.