Job Ref: 28020
Talent Area: Professional
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group
Houston, TX 77030
Area/Department: MDCA Lab - Stress
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group - As one of the nation’s leading hospitals and academic medical centers Houston Methodist has brought together some of the nation’s leading experts in multiple specialties to serve our patients. As part of Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group (HMSPG), these specialists not only provide excellent clinical care, but are on the forefront of research, developing leading-edge technologies and treatments, and teaching the medical pioneers of tomorrow. This combination of clinical service, research and academics ensures patients have access to the latest in treatments and technologies while providing the best in comprehensive patient care. Established as a non-profit corporation and certified by the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners, HMSPG enables physicians to maintain autonomy with respect to their clinical practice while growing their practice within an academic environment.
The Cardiology Technician assists in the examination and treatment of patients and with cardiology stress procedures under the supervision of a Physician and Registered Nurse. The Cardiology Technician operates a variety of cardiac stress, monitoring and scanning equipment. Five years minimum experience as a cardiology technician in a cardiology facility is required; knowledgeable in cardiovascular anatomy and physiology; proficient in advanced ECG arrhythmias and conduction defects. Phlebotomy skills required. Certified as a Cardiographic Technician and in Advanced Cardiac Life Support.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Patients ages 18 +
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provide care to patients and performs cardiac stress procedures, treadmill stress tests, electrocardiograms, TILT table testing and holter and event monitor application.
2. Monitors patient's vital signs and cardiac rhythms during and post cardiac stress procedures; verbally reports life-threatening cardiac rhythms to the RN and cardiologist present.
3. Performs holter monitor scanning, alerts physicians to emergent cardiac abnormalities, performs data entry into Rozin Scanning System; tracks holter monitors and distributes patient results in a timely manner.
4. Responds to patient emergencies, supports code blue events and provides advanced cardiac life support to patients and safe transport to TMH.
5. Starts IV's and performs phlebotomy.
6. Assists to verify physician's orders for procedures, obtains medication and clinical history, screens patients prior to cardiac procedures, alerts RN / MD regarding patients medical condition prior to starting procedure.
7. Interacts with patients and family members in a professional manner and provides patient care to include provisions for patient comfort and safety. Schedules appointments and procedures. Provides patient education concerning procedure. Exhibits deportment expected and necessary for the functioning of a professional clinical area.
8. Assists to maintain emergency and medical equipment operational, performs scheduled QC and calibration of equipment to ensure readiness. Works closely with RN and service engineers to ensure the same.
9. Assists in ordering and maintaining drugs, medical and office supplies. Maintains NIVL in readiness. Maintains accurate supply records.
10. Demonstrates the components of the ICARE value statement and Service Pride Standards.
11. Follows all safety rules while on the job; reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards; complies with clinic and departmental policies and procedures.
12. Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
High school diploma or its equivalent is required
Successful completion on an ECG course and Cardiology Telemetry/Technician training
Minimum five years as a Cardiology Technician
(Cardiology Stress and Telemetry Monitoring Tech)
Clinic/outpatient experience is required preferably in a cardiology clinic setting
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Certified Cardiographic Technician
Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
Knowledgeable in cardiac anatomy and physiology
Proficient in reading advanced ECG arrhythmia and conduction defects
Knowledge of health care field, medical terminology and pharmacology
Knowledge of different types of stress tests
Demonstrates ability to communicate effectively with patients, physicians and allied personnel
Basic typing skill
Normal clinic conditions
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.