Job Ref: 28006
Talent Area: Administrative/Clerical
Houston, TX 77054
Employment Type: Regular
Job Type: Full-Time
Organization: Houston Methodist
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Houston Methodist (HM) is one of the nation’s leading health systems and academic medical centers. HM consists of 7 hospitals: Houston Methodist Hospital, its flagship academic hospital in the heart of the Texas Medical Center and six community hospitals throughout the greater Houston metropolitan area. HM also includes a research institute, a global business division, numerous physician practices and several free standing emergency rooms and outpatient facilities. Overall, HM employs over 20,000 employees. FORBES magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of Best Employers in 2016. Houston Methodist is supported by a wide variety of business functions that operate at the system level to help enable clinical departments to provide the best patient care and service in a spiritual environment.
Perform secretarial duties that require experience, skill and knowledge of organizational policies and pratices. Prepare correspondence, memoranda, reports etc. Screen telephone calls, receive and direct visitors, resolve routine inquiries. Schedule and maintain calendar of appointments, meetings and travel itineraries and coordinate related arrangements. Assist Director in creation of presentation materials as needed.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Select the applicable age group(s) of primary customers/patients served by this position.
Neonate (Birth to 28 days)
Infants/Toddlers (29 days to 18 months)
Toddler (18 months to 3 years)
Preschooler (3-6 years)
School Age (6-12 years)
Adolescence (12-18 years)
Young Adult (19-40 Years)
Middle Adult (40-65 Years)
Mature Adult (65 years and older)
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
I. Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and Responsibilities are cross-referenced to Houston Methodist¿s Pillars of Excellence and will be transferred to the Performance Evaluation.
1. Answers telephones, troubleshoots and direct calls to the appropriate person in a professional manner.
2. Perform routine duties associated with specific department core functions/services
3. Deliver documents to other departments for signature and arrange pickup
1. Types various correspondence including letters, memos and various other department communications.
2. Assist with maintaining office equipment and calls for service as needed
3. Organizes details of calendars. Includes prioritizing, maintenance and control of meeting schedules
1. Must be knowledgeable on where to access information both in the department and within the institution to support the department
2. Maintains and achieves the highest standards of quality, delivery of care and service
1. Orders department supplies assure adequate stock, avoiding excessive purchases
2. Processes incoming invoices, verifying charges and expenses
1. Monitors processes and work flow across front desk and recommends changes improve efficiency/quality
2. Demonstrates adaptability and flexibility in the face of changing demands.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Secretary III :
1. Duties and tasks reflect substantial variety and complexity.
2. Assignments are broad in nature and usually require originality and ingenuity.
3. May serve as a resource to others in the resolution of complex problems and issues.
High School Diploma or G.E.D. equivalent.
Five or more years of secretarial experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Please add additional knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the essential functions.
Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
Knowledge of standard office equipment
Computer skills with proficiency in WINDOWS and Microsoft Office products
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.