Work Shift: 7pm-7am
Work Week: M - F, rotating weekends
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital opened its doors to Northwest Houston in December 2000. In May 2010, a major expansion on the 52-acre campus doubled the size of the hospital, brining more expertise, more state-of-the-art technology and more specialized care to the community. With 251 licensed beds, 16 operating rooms and over 1,600 employees, Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital was specifically designed to provide comprehensive, personalized care for the community.
The ER Charge Nurse is a Registered Nurse, who as an experienced clinician functions at the Competent stage of Benner’s model of clinical practice. The Emergency Room Charge Nurse creates an environment for the management and delivery of safe patient care. The Charge Nurse is a role model and coach to department personnel and assists in developing their skills and knowledge.
Duties and Responsibilities are cross-referenced to the hospital’s Pillars of Excellence:
People (providing direction and plans, leading and managing people, ICARE values)
Service (patient/customer satisfaction, interpersonal effectiveness)
Quality and Safety (making judgments and decisions)
Finance (driving for performance excellence)
Innovation and Growth (leading improvement and innovation, role-specific expertise)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides care to increasingly complex patients and coordinates the interdisciplinary team. (Quality/Safety) (EF)
- Identifies and presents areas for improvement in patient care or unit operations and offers solutions by participating in unit projects and shared governance activities. (Growth/Innovation) (EF)
- Identifies leadership opportunities for professional growth of peers. (People)
- Provides input into the unit resource utilization including unit capital and operational budget needs. (Finance) (EF)
- Contributes to meeting departmental financial target on unit-based scorecard. (Finance) (EF)
- PATIENT/FAMILY-CENTERED CARE
- Develops and updates plan of care in partnership with the patient and family using the nursing process, incorporating the patient’s priorities and abilities. (Service) (EF)
- Establishes mutual educational goals with patient and family, provides appropriate resources, incorporating planning for care after discharge. (Service) (EF)
- Supports patients and families in preventing/resolving clinical or ethical issues. (Service) (EF)
- Contributes to meeting departmental target for patient satisfaction on unit-based scorecard. (Service) (EF)
- CLINICAL JUDGEMENT/CRITICAL THINKING
- Follows the nursing process, modifies care based on continuous evaluation of the patient’s condition, demonstrates clinical problem-solving and critical thinking, and makes decisions using evidence-based analytical approach. (Quality/Safety) (EF)
- Plans for routine events and anticipates/prevents and manages/elevates emergent situations. (Quality/Safety) (EF)
- Contributes to meeting departmental targets for quality and safety measures on unit-based scorecard. (Quality/Safety) (EF)
- Communicates in an active, positive and effective manner to all health care team members and reports pertinent patient care and family data in a comprehensive and unbiased manner, listens and responds to the ideas of others. (People) (EF)
- Uses a structured format for regular communication with patients and families, such as hourly rounding. (Quality/Safety) (EF)
- Uses therapeutic communication to establish a relationship with patients and families and communicates the plan of care. (Service) (EF)
- Manages usual patient assignment and other unit demands, completes patient care responsibilities in timely manner with accurate documentation, organizes multiple priorities and anticipates/plans for potential problems. (Quality/Safety) (EF)
- Uses downtime efficiently, aware of team members’ workload, consistently offers assistance, and responds positively to requests for assistance from other team members. (People) (EF)
- Supportive of change initiatives. Adapts to unexpected changes. (Growth/Innovation) (EF)
- Reports “near misses” as well as errors promptly and consistently to improve systems and processes and identify trends. (Quality/Safety) (EF)
- Collaborates with staff from the interdisciplinary team concerning safety data to improve outcomes. (Quality/Safety) (EF)
- Implements unit and hospital initiatives to achieve National Patient Safety Goals. (Quality/Safety) (EF)
- EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE/RESEARCH
- Identifies areas for improvement based on understanding of evidence-based practice literature. Initiates evidence-based practice/performance improvement projects based on these observations. (Innovation/Growth) (EF)
- Identifies opportunity for practice changes. Researches the change and presents options to shared governance and leadership. (Quality/Safety) (EF)
- Assures that designated core measures are met in providing care. (Quality/Safety) (EF)
- STAFF EDUCATION
- Identifies own learning needs, consults with healthcare team experts and seeks continuing education opportunities to meet those needs. (Growth/Innovation) (EF)
- Implements staff education specific to patient populations and unit processes; coaches and mentors other staff and students. May include preceptorship. (People) (EF)
- PROFESSIONAL CONTRIBUTIONS
- Maintains level of professional contributions as defined in Clinical Career Path program guide. (EF)
- Demonstrates the components of the ICARE values statement.
- Demonstrates SERVICE PRIDE standards.
- Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor hazards.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Graduation from an accredited School of Nursing
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Nursing required at HMH; preferred at other HM system hospitals
See attached table for Willowbrook
At least 18 months’ experience required (Emergency Room experience needed)
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Registered nurse with current Texas license
BLS, certification must be approved by the American Heart Association
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Must be able to perform skills and competencies as defined in orientation checklist and annual departmental competency checklist if applicable.
Basic computer skills
Must be able to write and speak effectively in English
Competencies, skills, training as listed in Policy NU-903, “Competence of Nursing Staff” and HR 07 “Competency Assessment”
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.