Houston Methodist Academic Institute
6670 Bertner Ave
Houston, TX 77030
Category: Academic Institute
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: March 31, 2021
The Biomedical Engineer is responsible for the application of engineering principles and techniques to the medical field. It combines the design and problem solving skills of engineering with medical and biological sciences to improve healthcare diagnosis, monitoring and therapy. A biomedical engineer must apply the latest software programs and mathematical models to design, develop and test new materials and equipment. This position must work with physicians, technicians and manufacturers to make sure any novel product is feasible in terms of design and economic viability.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate meetings, flow lab experiments, device testing and communication between a number of involved clinicians, researchers, engineers, and other scientific professionals.
- Write reports, attend conferences and exhibitions to present work and latest designs to a range of technical and non-technical audiences.
- Performs the design, layout, testing, and evaluation of mechanical and electro-mechanical devices or systems. Performs drawing board layout and interpretation and implementation of customer specifications and documentation requirements.
- Adapt or design computer hardware or software for medical science use.
- Diagnose and interpret bioelectric data, using signal processing techniques.
- Report research findings through scientific publication, oral presentation, and formal documents with regards to industry contracts and funded grant proposals.
- Evaluate the safety, efficiency and effectiveness of biomedical equipment and devices.
FINANCE Participate in the writing of research grants and contracts.
- Identify and pursue funding for innovative future research through grant and proposal writing and collaboration with other research groups and institutions.
- Design and develop medical diagnostic and clinical instrumentation, equipment, and procedures, utilizing the principles of engineering sciences.
- Keep up to date with new developments in the field, nationally and internationally.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Bachelor of Engineering degree in related Engineering fields with 4 years of experience;
Master of Engineering degree in related Engineering fields with 0 years of experience
0 to 4 years, depending on education
Experience developing functional protoypes; device design review; device design modification; data analysis
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
A cornerstone of Houston Methodist's strategic vision as a source for leading care, Houston Methodist Academic Institute conducts ground breaking translational and clinical research to provide the best care to patients in our community and around the world. At Houston Methodist, fostering innovations with the potential for clinical application is at the very heart of what we do. Our interdisciplinary teams of clinicians and researchers are committed to streamlining the process of translating discoveries into treatments and cures for our patients.