Houston Methodist Academic Institute
6670 Bertner Ave
Houston, TX 77030
Category: Academic Institute
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: Sept. 27, 2021
At Houston Methodist, the Grant Accountant is responsible for maintaining knowledge of and interprets granting agencies and Houston Methodist Research Institute (HMRI) regulations regarding the receipt and administration of grants and contracts. Reviews grant and contract proposals to assure compliance with granting agency requirements and HMRI policy. Review and monitor expense transactions for conformance with granting agency guidelines. Coordinate the set-up of cost centers and budgets and work with department staff to ensure proper allocation of costs to new awards. Prepare monthly and/or quarterly invoices as necessary and maintain an accounts receivable aging schedule. Prepare, distribute, and monitor monthly time and effort reports for all individuals with committed or actual effort on all grants and contracts. Prepare interim and final financial status reports in accordance with funding agency guidelines.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
- Meet and discuss grant financials with investigators, department heads and HMRI leadership. EF
- Communicate with external entities on invoices and grant financials.
SERVICE - 20%
- Coordinate Grants and Contracts post-award projects in all related activities including invoicing, financial reporting, effort reporting, and cash management. EF
- Submit financial status reports on time and error free.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
- Apply federal, state and organizational guidelines and policies to extramural funding financials. EF
- Work with multiple project financials to ensure accuracy and on time submission.
- Identify potential problems related to grant finances and provide adequate solutions.
FINANCE - 25%
- Apply government granting, contracting, and finacial practices to assigned projects. EF
- Use GAAP (General Accepted Accounting Principles) to all assigned projects. EF
- Provide final review and approval of quarterly financial reports submitted to Federal, State, foundation and local agencies.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Work independently to complete special assignments and projects as assigned.
- Propose and take responsibility for developing and managing new procedures and initiatives that will improve the effectiveness and efficiency.
- Participate in relevant professional development activities (e.g., conferences, webinars, online training courses).
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, finance, accounting or a related field required.
- Three years of relevant experience in financial accounting or research administration.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Certified Grants Management Specialist ( CGMS ) is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Please add additional knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the essential functions.
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Through on-the-job experience must gain a working knowledge of grant and contract guidelines and cost principles.
- Must have basic knowledge in the use of various personal computer based spreadsheet and word processing software applications (e.g., Microsoft Excel, Word, etc.).
- Must possess good verbal and written communication skills.
Please indicate the requirements of the job by selecting the appropriate response.
|Other (dept approved) ||No|
|On-Call* ||No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above. Travel**
|May require travel within ||Yes|
|Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|May require travel outside ||No |
|of Houston Metropolitan area|| |
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
A cornerstone of Houston Methodist's strategic vision as a source for leading care, Houston Methodist Academic Institute conducts ground breaking translational and clinical research to provide the best care to patients in our community and around the world. At Houston Methodist, fostering innovations with the potential for clinical application is at the very heart of what we do. Our interdisciplinary teams of clinicians and researchers are committed to streamlining the process of translating discoveries into treatments and cures for our patients.