Houston Methodist Academic Institute
6670 Bertner Ave
Houston, TX 77030
Category: Academic Institute
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: July 9, 2021
At Houston Methodist, the Grant Specialist is responsible for guiding faculty and administrators through the various extramural funding proposal process. Reviews funding opportunities/program announcements to ensure institutional and P.I. eligibility. Reviews all extramural fund proposals budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with Houston Methodist Research Institute (HMRI) and Sponsor procedures and regulations. Reviews all Letter of Intent proposals for completeness, accuracy, and conformance. Ensures all funding proposals with corresponding documents are submitted by the appropriate deadline. Establishes new awards in the accounting system and coordinate the set-up of cost centers and budgets and work with department staff to ensure proper allocation of costs to new awards. Sets up new incoming and outgoing subawards on funded projects.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Interact with leadership and investigators to submit and receive extramural funding. EF
- Work effectively with a wide range of constituencies and collaborating organizations in a diverse community in the field of academic research.
SERVICE - 30%
- Review academic research funding opportunities/program announcements to ensure institutional and P.I. eligibility. EF
- Review all extramural fund proposals and budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with Houston Methodist Research Institute (HMRI) and Sponsor procedures and regulations. EF
- Work independently or in a team setting to meet deadlines as required by academic research insitutions.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
- Review all work against federal, state and institutional policeies and guidelines. EF
- Work on multiple projects, extramural submissions and proposals with competing deadlines.
FINANCE - 15%
- Review grant, contracting and administrative budgets to ensure they meet federal state and institutional guidelines on extramural funds.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
- Take responsibility for developing and managing new procedures and initiatives that will improve the effectiveness and efficiency. EF
- Participate in relevant Houston Methodist sponsored professional development activities (e.g., conferences, webinars, online training courses).
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- High School Diploma
- Bachelors degree with no experience
- Eight years of experience required working in a pre-award sponsored programs environment, preferably in research.
- Experience dealing with federal and state agencies and knowledge of their funding guidelines preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Strong organization, communication, negotiation, and analytic skills required.
- Extensive customer service interactions required.
- Must have the ability to work independently.
- Must have the ability to meet deadlines.
|Other (dept approved) ||No|
|On-Call* ||No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above. Travel**
|May require travel within ||Yes|
|Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|May require travel outside ||No |
|of Houston Metropolitan area|| |
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
A cornerstone of Houston Methodist's strategic vision as a source for leading care, Houston Methodist Academic Institute conducts ground breaking translational and clinical research to provide the best care to patients in our community and around the world. At Houston Methodist, fostering innovations with the potential for clinical application is at the very heart of what we do. Our interdisciplinary teams of clinicians and researchers are committed to streamlining the process of translating discoveries into treatments and cures for our patients.