Houston Methodist Academic Institute
6670 Bertner Ave
Houston, TX 77030
Category: Academic Institute
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: Nov. 5, 2021
The Research Associate I is responsible for providing advanced technical research skills and establishing test methods and procedures under the direction of Department Chairperson or Scientist (Faculty).
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE - %
- Oversees a team of Research Assistants and Post Docs 0-2.
- Assigns and reviews work of research project staff.
- Completes/performs research experiements and incorporates novel procedures and methods into research experiments as appropriate.
SERVICE - %
- Plans, directs and coordinates laboratory research projects (Low to medium complexity)
- Keeps good records of all procedures and outcomes.
- Analyze data for research grants and publications.
- Reviews scientific literature.
QUALITY/SAFETY - %
- Establishes and maintains quality control of project operations.
- Writes and maintains regulatory and safety committee applications/protocols
- Adheres to and assists with customizing of TMH and TMHRI Safety Procedures for Laboratory.
FINANCE - %
- Plans and carefully designs experiments.
- Keeps projects on required timelines.
- A steward of HM's resources and considers this for supply orders.
- Researches best cost/quality options for supply orders.
- Assists with ensuring orders are on appropriate grants.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - %
- Participates in grant writing.
- Determines specific research project goals and objectives to be attained. Assumes responsibility and oversight for those goals and objectives.
- Prepares scientific presentations for departmental meetings.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- MS with minimum 5 years experience OR
- Terminal degree with minimum 2 years experience
- 2-5 years experience, depending on education level
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure and balance many competing priorities
- Proficient in spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation software
- Demonstrates effective communication skills
- Professional handling of exposure to confidential/sensitive information
A cornerstone of Houston Methodist's strategic vision as a source for leading care, Houston Methodist Academic Institute conducts ground breaking translational and clinical research to provide the best care to patients in our community and around the world. At Houston Methodist, fostering innovations with the potential for clinical application is at the very heart of what we do. Our interdisciplinary teams of clinicians and researchers are committed to streamlining the process of translating discoveries into treatments and cures for our patients.