Houston Methodist Academic Institute
6670 Bertner Ave
Houston, TX 77030
Category: Academic Institute
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: May 10, 2022
The Research Associate II is responsible for providing advanced technical research skills and establishing test methods and procedures under the direction of Department Chairperson or Scientist (Faculty).
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE -20 %
- Oversees a team of Research Assistants and Post Docs 0-2, and participants from other HMHRI labs.
- Assigns and reviews work of research project staff.
SERVICE - 30%
- Plans, directs and coordinates laboratory research projects (medium to high complexity)
- Completes/performs research and incorporates novel procedures and methods into ressearch experiments as appropriate.
- Analyze data for research grants and publications (medium to high complexity)
- Reviews scientific literature.
QUALITY/SAFETY - %
- Establishes and maintains quality control of poject operations.
- Writes and maintains regulatory and safety committee applications/protocols
- Keeps good records of all procedures and outcomes.
- Adheres to and assists with customizing of TMH and TMHRI Safety Procedures for Laboratory.
FINANCE - %
- Plans and carefully designs experiments
- Steward of Houston Methodist's resources and considers this for supply orders.
- Keeps projects on required timelines
- Researches best cost/quality options for supply orders
- Assists with ensuring orders are on appropriate grants.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - %
- Determines specific research project goals and objectives to be attained.
- Prepares scientific presentations for departmental meetings.
- Participates in grant writing.
- Participates in publication writing as first author
- Works toward writing specific aims and research plan independently.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Terminal degree with minimum 6 years experience
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure and balance many competing priorities
- Proficient in spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation software
- Demonstrates effective communication skills
- Professional handling of exposure to confidential/sensitive information
Houston Methodist Academic Institute was formed to rapidly and efficiently translate discoveries made in the laboratory and the clinic into new diagnostics, therapies and treatments. The research institute was created in 2004 to provide the infrastructure and support for these endeavors, and to house the technology and resources needed to make innovative breakthroughs in important areas of human disease. A 540,000 square foot building dedicated to research and clinical trials, the academic institute houses over 2,047 credentialed researchers conducting 1,470 ongoing clinical protocols.