Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group
Houston, TX 77030
Category: Nurse Practitioner
Job Type: PRN
Posted Date: Jan. 13, 2022
The Nurse Practitioner (NP) position functions as a licensed registered nurse and provides all aspects of patient care, including diagnosis, treatment and consultation while maintaining and promoting the health of the patient. This position may work in both inpatient and outpatient settings and performs according to the nurse practice act of the State of Texas and as part of a treatment team. The NP position role models compassionate communication with patients, physicians and the interprofessional health care team. The NP position provides education to patients about preventative care and prescribed treatments. This position may also conduct physicals, order tests and serve as a patient's healthcare provider, prescribing medications as appropriate. The NP position effects direct patient care according to the Houston Methodist Professional Practice Model Nursing Practice and Professional Performance policies and procedures.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25 %
- Demonstrates leadership as a clinical resource, interprofessional consultant, and patient advocate. Identifies staff development opportunities for professional growth of colleagues, provides coaching to meet identified goals. (EF)
- Collaborates to foster healthy relationships in the work environment. Acts as a role model and coaches staff in effective verbal, non-verbal and written communication. Serves as preceptor for Nurse Practitioner students and medical resident(s), as applicable. (EF)
- Communicates organizational information and aspects of administrative and clinical practice in a respectful and positive manner when interacting with staff. Advocates for a balanced workload, promotes positive behaviors, and peer-to-peer accountability. Facilitates the promotion of teamwork. (EF)
- Collaborates with the interprofessional healthcare team members to manage/coordinate patient care. Advocates on patient/family's behalf to identify and resolve clinical and ethical concerns. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
- Conducts appropriate, timely patient care under physician supervision, for a defined patient population(s), focusing on identified expected unit/optimal outcomes, individualized to the patient. Prioritizes care based on the patient's needs, abilities and preferences. (EF)
- Coordinates patient care between healthcare providers. Attends and participates in interdisciplinary rounds, as appropriate. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Provides safe and effective care by leading and initiating outcome, quality and safety improvement activities in alignment with organizational goals. Demonstrates highly developed assessment, clinical, documentation, leadership and analytical skills; integrates and contributes to professional practice standards, policies, procedures, protocols and leads improvements in patient safety-related processes. (EF)
- Functions as a quality care provider, coordinating, maintaining and promoting the health of the patient. Assist the interprofessional healthcare team in the development and implementation of protocols to ensure patient safety. Affects direct patient care according to the nurse practice act of the State of Texas and the Houston Methodist Professional Practice Model Nursing Practice and Professional Performance. (EF)
- Conducts health assessments (initial, ongoing, discharge, as appropriate), Identifies normal/abnormal health characteristics, develops plan of care, initiates appropriate interventions, and evaluates care outcomes on defined patient populations(s). (EF)
- Performs invasive, diagnostic or therapeutic procedures necessary for defined patient population(s) based on licensure and credentialed privileges. (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
- Implements departmental strategies to achieve financial target on entity scorecard and mentors others to do the same through timely documentation of care, decreasing length of stay, optimizing efficiency, and other areas according to departmental specifications. (EF)
- Projects awareness and understanding of resource allocation based on patient needs and staff experience, knowledge, and skills.
- Contributes to department plans for resource utilization and capital needs to meet departmental financial target. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Promotes quality health care through integration of current research into practice and participation in research/evidence-based activities. Leads and identifies opportunities for practice changes and performance improvement. (EF)
- Provides education of information/knowledge in professional activities such as research, presentations, and publications. Expands individual nursing knowledge and coaches staff to grow in knowledge, abilities, skills, and attitudes. Serves as clinical resource. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Two years of registered nurse, advanced practice or nurse practitioner clinical experience
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Texas RN license or temporary TX RN license, must obtain permanent license within 90 days
- Recognized and licensed as an Advanced Practice Nurse (APRN) in the State of Texas
- Certified by American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) or American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) as a Nurse Practitioner, based on applicable patient population, i.e. Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP), Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner (AGNP), Neonatal Nurse Practitioners (NNP), Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP), Women's Health Nurse Practitioner (WHNP), Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (ACNP), Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AG-ACNP), Acute Care Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner (ACNPC-AG)
- American Heart Association BLS
- American Heart Association ACLS (not required for Employee Health, Primary Care and Telemedicine departments)
- Prescriptive authority privileges through the State of Texas
- Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) registration must be obtained within 6 months of hire
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Uses therapeutic communication to establish a relationship with patients, families and interprofessional team to collaborate on the plan of care
- Strong assessment, organizational and problem solving skill as evidenced by capacity to prioritize multiple tasks and role components
- Ability to function independently and exercise judgment in interactions with physicians, interprofessional care team and patients and their families
- Demonstrates proficient time management skills
- Uses critical thinking skills and clinical judgment to work autonomously as defined by the Nurse Practice Act.
|Other (dept. approved) ||Yes|
|On-Call* ||Yes, on a regular basis (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)|
|*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above.|| |
| || |
|Travel** || |
|May require travel within ||Yes|| |
|Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|May require travel outside ||No |
|of Houston Metropolitan area|| |
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group - As one of the nation’s leading hospitals and academic medical centers Houston Methodist has brought together some of the nation’s leading experts in multiple specialties to serve our patients. As part of Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group (HMSPG), these specialists not only provide excellent clinical care, but are on the forefront of research, developing leading-edge technologies and treatments, and teaching the medical pioneers of tomorrow. This combination of clinical service, research and academics ensures patients have access to the latest in treatments and technologies while providing the best in comprehensive patient care. Established as a non-profit corporation and certified by the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners, HMSPG enables physicians to maintain autonomy with respect to their clinical practice while growing their practice within an academic environment.