Administrative Clerk PRN - Innovative Care Redesign
- Job Ref:
- Talent Area:
- Information Technology
- Job Shift:
- 1st - Day
- Job Type:
- Posted Date:
- Jan. 19, 2024
NOTE: This is a temporary position.
At Houston Methodist, the Administrative Clerk position is responsible for performing general office work and delivering exceptional customer service assistance which entails addressing patient inquiries and providing an overall welcoming environment. This position's responsibilities will include producing, filing and distributing reports to designated areas. The Administrative Clerk position will perform a variety of routine clerical tasks of limited complexity under general supervision, ensuring the department's patient, visitor and customer interactions are in accordance with Houston Methodist's ICARE values of integrity, compassion, accountability, respect and excellence and established standard operating procedures which includes all staff providing unparalleled patient care and customer service in a timely, professional and safe manner.
This Administrative Clerk, Innovative Care Redesign role is within the department of IT - Center of Innovation. This role will test all devices in each patient room across the hospital system. Multiple modules (Virtual Care and Virtual Monitoring) will be tested and are required to fully pass to sign off. The TDR (Technical Dress Rehearsal) will require completion of testing all core features, documentation of pass/fail, as well as reporting any issues encountered. This role will require entering into patient rooms while patients are present at times to complete. At times, rebooting devices or confirming cable placement will be required. TDR's are teams of 2 with one person on the unit going room to room validating in room activity and one person on a workstation going into the rooms and testing the features in the platform. This position will also be responsible for circulating educational materials to the units and educating staff of changes that are occurring including go-live dates. Post go-live, this position may be needed to round and re-evaluate, as well as receive feedback to document and report back to IT and Operations teams.
PEOPLE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner.
- Develops ongoing relationships and interactions with internal stakeholders and clinicians; Conducts self in a manner that is congruent with cultural diversity and inclusion principles.
- Provides contributions towards improvement of department scores for employee engagement on department scorecard, i.e. peer-to-peer accountability.
SERVICE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Accurately and thoroughly enters all relevant information into systems, optimizing all available computer software. Properly gathers, reviews, duplicates and distributes patient medical information. Prepares and maintains patient files, as appropriate.
- Performs routine office typing, including envelopes, memos, physician notes and physician orders, as appropriate. Prepares and maintains general office files.
- Prints, collates and distributes reports to designated areas.
- Coordinates patient flow with support area staff. Actively participates in organizing the work flow, problem-solving, and managing multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision.
- Contributes to meeting/exceeding department and organization targets for patient satisfaction measures.
QUALITY/SAFETY ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Coordinates and processes requests for medical information according to policies and procedures. Maintains and accurately updates routine reports, forms and log sheets.
- Maintains a safe environment, following all policies and procedures for safety, hazardous material. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards in accordance with regulations and standards.
- Identifies and escalates issues and opportunities for improvement. Follows up on action items to ensure completion of assignments. Contributes towards improving department/practice quality and safety scores.
FINANCE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Inventories and orders office supplies following established department standards. Assists with routine equipment troubleshooting such as paper jams, ink cartridge replacement, etc.
- Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, minimizing incidental overtime. Utilizes time efficiently and helps other team members.
GROWTH/INNOVATION ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Identifies and assumes responsibility of own learning needs and seeks continuing education opportunities to meet those needs. Completes and updates the My Development Plan on an on-going basis. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management.
- Offers innovative solutions through participation in performance improvement projects and activities. Follows up on action items to ensure completion of assignments.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
- One year of clerical experience with computer skills including spreadsheet and word processing applications
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS - REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Demonstrates a high level of maturity with demonstrated self-confidence and ability to make decisions
- Conducts self in a professional manner at all times
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrates a learning attitude toward solving problems, using good reasoning and judgment in a high stress environment
- Demonstrates a positive demeanor and strong multi-tasking abilities
- Ability to work with peers in a team situation
- Very strong organization skills and detail-oriented nature
- Professional handling of exposure to confidential/sensitive information
- Proficient in computer skills for documentation
- Uniform No
- Scrubs Yes
- Business professional Yes
- Other (department approved) Yes
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. DIsaster, Severe Weather Events, etc) regardless of selection below.
- On Call* No
**Travel specifications may vary by department**
- May require travel within the Houston Metropolitan area Yes
- May require travel outside Houston Metropolitan area No
Houston Methodist is one of the nation’s leading health systems and academic medical centers. Houston Methodist consists of eight hospitals: Houston Methodist Hospital, its flagship academic hospital in the heart of the Texas Medical Center, and seven community hospitals throughout the greater Houston area. Houston Methodist also includes an academic institute, a comprehensive residency program, a global business division, numerous physician practices and several free-standing emergency rooms and outpatient facilities. Overall, Houston Methodist employs more than 27,000 employees and is supported by a wide variety of business functions that operate at the system level to help enable clinical departments to provide high quality patient care.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law. VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital, Baytown, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Surgical Pathology Technician position is responsible for working under the direction of a Pathologist, performing the gross examination and description of gross-only specimens and surgical biopsy specimens (not requiring dissection or sectioning). This position reports to appropriate HM entity management.
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse (RN) II Department Premium position a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, functions at the Competent to Proficient stage of Benner's model of clinical practice. The RN II Department Premium position is responsible for providing professional nursing care to a diverse patient population, conducting …
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Endoscopy Technician I (Endo Tech) position, under the direction of a Registered Nurse and/or physician, provides support to the gastroenterology (GI) providers and other members of the healthcare team and is directly involved in patient care before, during and after procedures. This position assists with gastroenterology …