Work Shift: EVENING
Work Week: M - F
The primary purpose of the Admission Nurse is to facilitate the functional and operational aspects for patients' entrance into the hospital. Collaborate with clinical staff to ensure resource utilization is appropriate to the patient¿s clinical needs and within covered benefits. This position ensures an integrated, multi-disciplinary department which supports caregivers to provide the highest quality, most clinically appropriate admission placement of patients, while promoting the most cost-effective utilization of the hospital¿s resources for those patients admitted to the hospital. This position ensures the most appropriate placement of patients as it relates to floors, rooms and campus.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Demonstrates proficiency in bed placement. Maintains close communication within the department regarding patient and physician requests to ensure smooth transition of patients in our facility. Continually assess needs of customers.
2. Maintains good rapport with physicians and their office staffs to streamline patient entry to the hospital, receive admitting orders and special request concerning each patient as well as the Emergency Department.
3. Evaluates transfers to MWHH for appropriateness including clinical, financial and social issues and coordinates them with charge nurse and administrative coordinator.
4. Consistently reviews all admissions for medical necessity and appropriateness of care based on nationally recognized criteria.
5. Ensures computer system accuracy of patient level of care status to physician order.
6. Works closely with ED physicians, social workers and case managers to identify alternate level of care/treatment plan for patients who do not require admission.
7. Assists physicians in improving documentation to meet regulatory and payer requirements. Promotes accuracy and completeness of clinical documentation to reflect the appropriate Severity of Illness (SOI) and Intensity of Service (IOS) for all patients.
8. Coordinates with case manager to escalate cases with physician advisor
9. Understands and adheres to all pertinent federal, state and MWHH regulations, laws, and policies as they presently exist and as they change or are modified.
10. Oversees any implementation and evaluation of medical management tools for assigned areas to ensure goals and outcomes established by the team are met
11. Participates in quality improvement activities by collecting and analyzing data related to patient throughput, identifying trends and suggesting improvement plans. Participates on clinical process improvement teams within the department and hospital.
12. Demonstrates accountability for own actions and decisions at all times, and always establishes priorities and sets deadlines for activities.
13. Consistently demonstrates an ability to adapt to changing priorities within the department.
14. Demonstrates the components of the I CARE values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Excellence).
15. Demonstrates Service Pride standards (smiles and makes eye contact; greets each patient and visitor; seeks out patient and visitor contact; displays appropriate body language at all times; takes 5 minutes each day to go above and beyond for one patient or visitor; honors diversity; thanks every customer.
16. Follow all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and correct minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
17. Performs other duties as assigned.
Associate Degree in Nursing required (ADN)
18 months of nursing experience required, preferably in an acute care hospital setting in Medical/Surgical Nursing. Critical Care experience and previous utilization review in the acute care setting background are desirable.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Current license to practice as a RN in the State of Texas.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Knowledge of utilization review and TMF criteria required. Must have critical thinking, advanced communication, negotiation and collaboration skills in dealing with patients, staff and physicians. Must have good organizational and time management skills. Must have good computer skills
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, located 35 miles east of Houston, is the area's only full-service hospital offering specialized medical care for patients at every stage in life. This 227 licensed bed hospital with 18 operating rooms, and over 1,400 employees, brings Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and surrounding counties.
Registered Nurse (RN) Medical Oncology Days
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, Baytown, TX
Work Shift: DayWork Week: 12 hour shifts with rotating weekends and holidays offJob SummaryThe RN II is a staff nurse, who as an experienced clinician ...
Registered Nurse (RN) Medical Oncology Nights
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, Baytown, TX
Work Shift: NIGHTWork Week: 12 hour shifts with rotating weekends and holidays offJob SummaryThe RN I is a staff nurse, who as an entry level ...
Registered Nurse II (RN) - Med Surg/Tele (nights)
Houston Methodist West Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: 7p-7aWork Week: Job SummaryThe RN II is a staff nurse, who as an experienced clinician functions at the Competent stage of Benner’s model ...