Houston Methodist Hospital
6565 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: Sept. 20, 2021
At Houston Methodist, the Anesthesia Tech (AT) provides support to the anesthesia providers and other members of the interprofessional health care team and is directly involved in patient care before, during and after procedures. This position assists with anesthesia-related procedures, troubleshooting of anesthesia-related equipment, and set up, operation, and initiation of patient monitoring in all anesthetizing locations e.g., OR, Cath Lab, Endoscopy, etc., as well as, in preoperative units, post anesthesia care units, and intensive care units as deemed necessary or as assigned. The AT is familiar with all anesthetizing locations, anesthesia supplies, and anesthesia and other related equipment ensuring that assigned locations and items are ready, available, and in good working conditions at all times.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25 %
- Contributes to a positive work environment and to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the interprofessional health care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and date in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
- Works well with others to make contributions to the work effort as a whole and facilitates problem resolution. Communication to promote both work efforts and problem resolution is clear, and professional. (EF)
SERVICE - 25 %
- Performs anesthesia support activities in all monitoring and anesthesia locations including but not limited to operating rooms, catheterization laboratories, intensive care units, and other patient care areas where anesthesia is performed. (EF)
- Performs complete operating/procedure room patient monitoring and anesthesia equipment set up. (EF)
- Sets up, calibrates as necessary, and checks the performance of all monitoring and anesthesia equipment before connecting to the patient. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25 %
- Cleans and disinfects equipment and work areas between patients, following infection control standards and department procedures. (EF)
- Organizes the work flow, problem-solves and manages ongoing priorities, with minimal supervision, seeking guidance when needed. (EF)
- Reports "near misses" and inputs error promptly into PSN to improve processes and identify trends. Contributes to identification of corrective actions and improvement activities, and contributes to meeting department and hospital targets for quality and safety. (EF)
FINANCE - 15 %
- Ensures that anesthetizing areas and anesthesia services work stations are put back together, organized properly, and ready for use as soon as possible after each case, including but not limited to, keeping monitor cables stored neatly, ensuring that anesthesia gases are turned off, unused supplies are restocked properly, and equipment are put back in designated places. (EF)
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, minimizing incidental overtime. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10 %
- Participates in committees and task forces as assigned and action items are appropriately performed. Follow up on action items as necessary to ensure completion of assignments. (EF)
- Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Technician/Technologist.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
- One (1) year of hospital experience; no experience required for Anesthesia Tech's certified candidates through the American Society of Anesthesia Technologists & Technicians. (ASATT)
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- American Heart Association BLS
- Anesthesia Tech's certification through the American Society of Anesthesia Technologists & Technicians (ASATT) preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Possess basic computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, Hospital/Anesthesia systems and Microsoft Office products to maintain patient documents
- Progression towards organizational and problem solving skills as evidenced by capacity to prioritize multiple tasks and role components and actively participating in problem solving with minimal supervision
- Progression towards demonstrating time management skills
- Ability to progress towards independence and exercise judgment in interactions with physicians, interprofessional care team and patients and their families
|Other (dept. approved) ||No|
|On-Call* ||Yes, on a regular basis (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above. Travel**
|May require travel within ||No|
|Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|May require travel outside ||No |
|of Houston Metropolitan area|| |
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Based in the Texas Medical Center, Houston Methodist Hospital is delivering on a mission started in 1919, which continues today – bringing quality, integrity, compassion and innovation into everything we do. As the flagship hospital of Houston Methodist, Houston Methodist Hospital is a nationally recognized medical center with a history of health care innovation. Houston Methodist Hospital was awarded Magnet recognition for nursing excellence for a fourth consecutive time by the ANCC. In addition, Houston Methodist Hospital was recently named by U.S. News & World Report as one of the country’s top 20 hospitals and was also ranked the No. 1 hospital in Texas for the fifth consecutive year.