Bariatric Surgery Program Manager - RN or Dietitian
16655 Southwest Fwy
Sugar Land, TX 77479
- Job Ref:
- Talent Area:
- Job Shift:
- 1st - Day
- Job Type:
- Posted Date:
- Sept. 7, 2023
At Houston Methodist, the Bariatric Surgery Program Manager position is responsible for the planning and coordination of clinical and quality initiatives to improve outcomes and achieve business objectives for the Bariatric Program. This position oversees the ongoing development and assessment of the quality of patient care for bariatric patients while assisting with the standardization and efficiency of care for the Bariatric patient throughout the continuum of care. The Bariatric Surgery Program Manager position manages Center of Excellence Accreditation criteria to ensure the program meets expectation set forth by governing agencies and will maintain and ensure compliance of all policies and procedures that guide and support the assigned services included but not limited to DNV requirements, federal and state regulations, Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP) standards and regulatory standards. This position will serve as the liaison between the program and The American College of Surgeons/MBSAQIP and interacts with all levels of the organization and collaborates with system hospitals for the sharing of best practices, reporting methodologies and identification of potential duplication of effort.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Partners with management to plan and execute clinical and quality program initiatives to ensure that the goals of the program are met. Serves as key liaison in development of regional relationships promoting Bariatric programs (EF)
- Collaborates, on an ongoing basis with Director, clinic staff and physicians, promoting positive communication techniques and the ability to problem solve at every level. Collaborates with all members communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive of the patient care team by actively manner. (EF)
- Recommends opportunities for improvement of department/program score for turnover/retention/employee engagement. (EF)
SERVICE - 30%
- Coordinates all aspects of patient care and development related to Bariatric programs at the hospital. Functions as a liaison with ancillary departments to ensure efficient patient flow for Bariatric Surgery patients (EF)
- Participates in identifying needs, planning, and implementing educational programs within the Bariatric areas for hospital health care providers, patients, families and/or community groups by facilitating and participating with others in the development and presentation of health care provider and community educational programs in the assigned specialty area; assisting patient care service staff in the patient/family education process related to designated clinical specialty. (EF)
- Provides outcome data for the Bariatric Medical Director and MBS Committee quarterly and as needed as well as prepares the meetings and facilities and documents minutes. Works with the bariatric team/surgeons to improve efficiency and increase volumes. (EF)
- Provides and demonstrates effective teaching methods to effectively deliver personalized, patient-centered, family-focused outcomes. ensure successful execution of clinical and quality program Assists with materials, presentations, and reports on program data for senior leadership, directors, and managers. Incorporates appropriate teaching and learning principles into the design and delivery of educational programs and materials. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 35%
- Serves as a clinical resource for complex and/or highly specialized patient care situations by coordinating clinical and quality efforts of the program in collaboration with relevant partners. Utilizes outstanding relationship skills to partner with key stakeholders to drive clinical and quality program success. (EF)
- Promotes and maintains program compliance of all policies and procedures that guide and support the assigned services which include but are not limited to accreditation and regulatory agencies’ requirements/standards, federal and state regulations, MBSAQIP standards, and Centers of Excellence criteria. (EF)
- Maintains primary responsibility for and focuses on achievement and maintenance of Center of Excellence status for Bariatrics and manages Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery’s Center of Excellence criteria to ensure clinic meets expectations set forth by governing agencies. (EF)
- Works with managed care to ensure data is collected and reported to the required COE insurance accreditation bodies and maintains requirements for those accreditations. (EF)
FINANCE - 5%
- Positively impacts quality and cost outcomes by assuring optimal medical nutrition therapy to minimize potential complications related to alterations of nutrition status; completes activity/productivity and other reports on timely basis and maintains knowledge of documentation requirements needed for patients' records including knowledge of computer applications. (EF)
- Regularly reviews clinical, operational and financial data to monitor program success and identify cost-effective opportunities for improvement. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Provides and supports strategic direction and uses appropriate and evolving methodologies to drive evidence-based treatment protocols. Creates and completes annual quality improvement projects. (EF)
- Maintains personal professional development through organization membership and attends workshops and other educational programs, to ensure awareness of current developments and trends. Completes and updates the My Development plan on an on-going basis. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below in the Certifications, Licenses and Registrations section.
o Five years of clinical experience in the specialty of Bariatrics
o Leadership and/or Coordinator experience preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Must have one of the following:
Texas RN license or temporary TX RN license should obtain permanent license within 90 days. Compact license acceptable according to current Board of Nursing requirements OR
Texas Licensed Dietitian (LD) and Registered Dietitian (RD) through the Commission on Dietetic Registration
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Works independently with limited direct supervision using the Nurse Practice Act, when applicable, HM Nursing policies and procedures, nursing standards, and professional judgment
o Maintains professional competencies and demonstrates an awareness of self-responsibility and accountability for own professional practice and development
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) Yes
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Candidates who submit interest via a third-party quick apply process are not considered formal applicants until a complete application has been submitted on our career site. We will review your interest but recommend to apply at houstonmethodistcareers.org
Since 1998, Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital has been serving Fort Bend and the surrounding counties. Residents have come to rely on a level of compassionate care and leading-edge technology that was once available only in the Texas Medical Center. Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital tied for No. 5 in Houston and No. 9 (four-way tie) in Texas in U.S. News & World Report’s best hospital rankings in 2022. With 324 operating beds, 23 operating rooms and more than 2,400 employees, Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital provides comprehensive, personalized care for the community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law. VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital, Baytown, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Surgical Pathology Technician position is responsible for working under the direction of a Pathologist, performing the gross examination and description of gross-only specimens and surgical biopsy specimens (not requiring dissection or sectioning). This position reports to appropriate HM entity management.
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse (RN) II Department Premium position a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, functions at the Competent to Proficient stage of Benner's model of clinical practice. The RN II Department Premium position is responsible for providing professional nursing care to a diverse patient population, conducting …
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Endoscopy Technician I (Endo Tech) position, under the direction of a Registered Nurse and/or physician, provides support to the gastroenterology (GI) providers and other members of the healthcare team and is directly involved in patient care before, during and after procedures. This position assists with gastroenterology …