Houston Methodist Hospital
6565 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
Category: Laboratory Services
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: April 29, 2021
At Houston Methodist, the Bioinformatician is responsible for managing all aspects of data analysis, data storage and bioinformatics support. This position specifically performs bioinformatics and statistical analysis for Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) experiments as well as develops pipelines, application tools for laboratory scientists, and administrating local and remote servers.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Leads or coordinates discussions on a reoccurring or ad hoc schedule involving bioinformatics issues, update and projects with physicians, staff and vendors. (EF)
- Communicates effectively and demonstrates necessary application upgrades and needed improvements for medical director NGS result interpretation. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
- Performs bioinformatics analysis NGS assays.
- Trains staff to perform clinical NGS assay bioinformatics analysis workflows prior to medical director result interpretation.
- Maintains hardware, servers, software and databases used in the lab. (EF)
- In coordination with the medical directors, testing personnel and vendors, troubleshoots bioinformatics pipelines, application or hardware related issues as they arise. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
- Maintains compliance with guidelines set by regulatory bodies. (EF)
- Prepares bioinformatics analysis protocols to be implemented into the clinical testing workflow and clinical NGS report templates for the medical directors.
- Validates and performs audits of scheduled bioinformatics quality assurance tasks, including but not limited to new versions of publicly annotated databases, COSMIC, server backup and failover testing. (EF)
- Maintains a safe environment within the Laboratory, following all policies and procedures for safety, security and emergency preparedness.
FINANCE - 10%
- Accountable for the proper use of equipment and supplies.
- Utilizes all available work time by assisting others and performing additional tasks.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 30%
- Develops and validates new and current bioinformatics pipelines, gui application tools, application upgrades and server hardware. (EF)
- Provides statistical support to health science research projects.
- Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Master of Science degree with a major in bioinformatics, computer science or biostatistics
- One year of work experience in bioinformatics analysis
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Skill in planning and organizing the work area
- Ability to analyze and solve problems
- Demonstrates self-motivation in performing job duties and following procedures
|Other (dept approved) ||No|
|On-Call* ||No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above. Travel**
|May require travel within ||No|
|Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|May require travel outside ||No |
|of Houston Metropolitan area|| |
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Based in the Texas Medical Center, Houston Methodist Hospital is delivering on a mission started in 1919, which continues today – bringing quality, integrity, compassion and innovation into everything we do. As the flagship hospital of Houston Methodist, Houston Methodist Hospital is a nationally recognized medical center with a history of health care innovation. Houston Methodist Hospital was awarded Magnet recognition for nursing excellence for a fourth consecutive time by the ANCC. In addition, Houston Methodist Hospital was recently named by U.S. News & World Report as one of the country’s top 20 hospitals and was also ranked the No. 1 hospital in Texas for the fifth consecutive year.