Houston Methodist Hospital
6565 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: May 14, 2021
The primary purpose of the Biomedical Technician II position is to provide and demonstrate technical support for general medical equipment, physiological monitoring, surgical equipment, and conduct safety inspections for the institution and to meet regulatory guidelines through the analysis, maintenance, calibration, installation, and upgrades on assigned medical and other electronic equipment. This position works under moderate supervision of a BMETIII/BMET Lead or Clinical Engineer and conducts work, provides records, and maintains a database of scheduled maintenance, corrective maintenance, and safety testing in accordance with manufacturer, regulatory, and department guidelines.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Interacts with others in a supportive, respectful manner.
- Listen to feedback and input carefully, demonstrate attention to others, and acknowledge and listen to different perspectives in a group.
- Communicate with customers to obtain access to equipment and to resolve equipment issues.
- Participates in projects such as inspections and installation of new medical equipment as assigned.
- May be assigned responsibility to independently complete portions of projects or equipment installations.
- Consistently meets regulatory and department guidelines, such as PM compliance. PM compliance for assigned medical equipment at a minimum of 95%, and life support equipment at 100% for each month. Consistently meets departmental goal for "Open Repair Cases Average (OCA)".
- Works with hospital departments and communicates the status of repairs and ensures minimal equipment downtime.
- Coordinates outside support activities with vendors and clients to obtain completion of equipment support activity and ensures all activities are documented.
- Support Medical equipment pre-purchase evaluations that are consistent with knowledge and experience at the request of the Clinical Engineer
- Demonstrates high service standards, such as responding in a timely manner to customer requests, and identifying and anticipating customer requirements, expectations, and needs.
- Document all equipment support activities performed in database completely, accurately, and on time as per established guidelines.
- Troubleshoots, maintains, and repairs all assigned patient medical equipment as per manufacturer established specifications.
- Demonstrates solid technical skills in analyzing, calibrating, and installing assigned medical equipment.
- Demonstrates knowledge of regulatory guidelines and hospital policies and procedures that govern Biomed equipment support activities.
- Utilizes tools and test equipment appropriately. Keeps an inventory of assigned tools and test equipment.
- Maintains safe and clean workplace environment. Demonstrates knowledge and behaviors related to environmental, employee, or patient safety requirements.
- Manages time effectively to meet established department guidelines.
- Utilizes department resources and supplies efficiently.
- Consistently meets productivity goal of 75% of worked hours that are documented in the CMMS
- Evaluates and recommends new ideas that improve medical equipment quality, safety, and service
- Participates in Annual Technical Competency to establish future training needs.
- Provides Nursing In-service on equipment operational issues to reduce Use Errors while improving patient quality of care.
- Demonstrates adaptability and flexibility in the face of changing demands, and displays initiative to improve relative to job function.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Associate Degree in Biomedical Technology (BMET), Electronics Engineering or related field OR successful completion of Military BMET training.
3 years of experience in maintaining electronics, electromechanical or medical equipment
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Effective Knowledge of basic computer hardware and software use. Knowledge of TJC, DNV, FDA, AAMI, NFPA, ECRI, and AHA standards and practices. Skilled in the use of standard and specialized test equipment and tools used for the maintenance of clinical equipment.
- Effective knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite 2010
Based in the Texas Medical Center, Houston Methodist Hospital is delivering on a mission started in 1919, which continues today – bringing quality, integrity, compassion and innovation into everything we do. As the flagship hospital of Houston Methodist, Houston Methodist Hospital is a nationally recognized medical center with a history of health care innovation. Houston Methodist Hospital was awarded Magnet recognition for nursing excellence for a fourth consecutive time by the ANCC. In addition, Houston Methodist Hospital was recently named by U.S. News & World Report as one of the country’s top 20 hospitals and was also ranked the No. 1 hospital in Texas for the fifth consecutive year.