Houston Methodist Hospital
6565 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: Sept. 2, 2021
The primary purpose of the Biomedical Technician I position is to provide technical support for general medical equipment and conduct safety inspections for the institution and to meet regulatory guidelines through the analysis, maintenance, calibration, installation, and upgrades on assigned medical equipment. This position also provides technical support on general medical equipment to our customers within the organization, as assigned. This position works under relatively close supervision of a BMET II/BMETIII or BMET supervisor and conducts work, provides records, and maintains a database of scheduled maintenance, corrective maintenance, and safety testing in accordance with manufacturer, regulatory, and department guidelines.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Interacts with others in a supportive, respectful manner.
- Listen to feedback and input carefully, demonstrate attention to others, and acknowledge and listen to different perspectives in a group.
- Communicate with customers to obtain access to equipment and to resolve equipment issues.
- Participate in projects, such as inspections and installation of new medical equipment, as assigned.
- Consistently meets regulatory and department guidelines, such as PM compliance. PM compliance for assigned medical equipment at a minimum of 95%, and life support equipment at 100% for each month. Consistently meets departmental goal for "Open Repair Cases Average (OCA)".
- Works with hospital departments and communicates the status of repairs and ensures minimal equipment downtime.
- Demonstrates high service standards, such as responding in a timely manner to customer requests, and identifiying and anticipating customer requirements, expectations, and needs.
- Document all equipment support activities performed in database completely, accurately, and on time as per established guidelines.
- Troubleshoots, maintains, and repairs all assigned patient medical equipment as per manufacturer established specifications.
- Demonstrates solid technical skills in analyzing, calibrating, and installing assigned medical equipment.
- Utilizes tools and test equipment appropriately. Keeps an inventory of assigned tools and test equipment.
- Maintains safe and clean workplace environment. Demonstrates knowledge and behaviors related to environmental, employee, or patient safety requirements.
- Manages time effectively to meet established department guidelines.
- Utilizes department resources and supplies efficiently.
- Consistently meets productivity goal of 75% of worked hours that are documented in the CMMS.
- Evaluates and recommends new ideas that improve medical equipment quality, safety, and service
- Participates in Annual Technical Competency to establish future training needs.
- Demonstrates adaptability and flexibility in the face of changing demands, and displays initiative to improve relative to job function.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Associate Degree in Biomedical Technology (BMET), Electronics Engineering or related field OR successful completion of Military BMET training.
1 year of experience in maintaining electronics, electromechanical or medical equipment
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Effective Knowledge of basic computer hardware and software use.
- Knowledge of TJC, DNV standards and practices.
- Skilled in the use of standard test equipment and tools use for the maintenance of clinical equipment.
- Effective knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite 2010
Based in the Texas Medical Center, Houston Methodist Hospital is delivering on a mission started in 1919, which continues today – bringing quality, integrity, compassion and innovation into everything we do. As the flagship hospital of Houston Methodist, Houston Methodist Hospital is a nationally recognized medical center with a history of health care innovation. Houston Methodist Hospital was awarded Magnet recognition for nursing excellence for a fourth consecutive time by the ANCC. In addition, Houston Methodist Hospital was recently named by U.S. News & World Report as one of the country’s top 20 hospitals and was also ranked the No. 1 hospital in Texas for the fifth consecutive year.