Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: Feb. 22, 2021
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
At Houston Methodist, the Business Analyst is responsible for facilitating within the organization, acting as a bridge between the client, stakeholders and assigned team. The Business Analyst is assigned to projects of intermediate complexity and scope. Responsible for identifying the business needs of clients and stakeholders to determine solutions to business problems. Responsible for requirements development and management. This includes producing, analyzing, validating and documenting business, organizational and/or operational requirements. Analysis includes but is not limited to financial analysis, quality assurance, organizational development, testing, training, and documentation development. The Business Analyst works to ensure that all business requirements are addressed in the implementation of a given product, project or effort.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 30%
1. Communicates (oral and written) effectively with customers, vendors, colleagues, and management about services, contact information, system availability, and information. (EF)
2. Acts as liaison between the customer and the technical team facilitating requirements gathering sessions, set expectations and coordinate team members utilizing teamwork and collaborative skills. (EF)
3. Engages customers and elicits requirements using various methods in design and development in conjunction with developers to document business case/scope/plan, business/functional requirements; including specifications for package solutions, and/or software development. (EF)
4. Partners with assigned Project Manager to support all phases of project implementation. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
1. Facilitates gathering and documenting requirements, business rules and other related documentation. (EF)
2. Decomposes business and user requirements into complete, concise and consistent functional requirements suitable for use by the developer. (EF)
3. Develops clear messaging to customers and management on plans for issue resolution, status updates and their effect on the department to customers. (EF)
4. Coordinates discovery, planning and follow up sessions with key customers. (EF)
5. Participates in resolving system outages, disaster management and change control. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
1. Ensures the quality and integrity of data collected for decision making and works with the other areas of the organization to ensure consistency as applicable. Ensures information is consistent, accurate, relevant and timely. (EF)
2. Performs required testing and quality assurance to ensure solutions delivered are defect free and of high quality. (EF)
3. Participates in setting, monitoring, and meeting SLAs with customers. Develops detailed system test plans, execute system test cases and provide issue tracking and consolidation. Manage a coordinated User Acceptance Test (UAT) effort. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
1. Utilizes department resources and supplies effectively and practices good time management. Helps minimize excess cost(s) by assisting and recommending solutions in achieving organizational objectives. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
1. Proposes solutions to facilitate constructive discussion within the team to arrive at the most optimal solution. Uses internal and external resources to stay up to date with new technologies and trends. (EF)
2. Proactively manages own professional development. Completes Individual Development Plan (IDP). (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Bachelor¿s degree required, preferably in Computer Science, Business Administration, or related discipline
o Three years experience supporting IT projects in an IT analyst role or similar function
o Experience performing requirement gathering and documentation
o Healthcare experience preferred
o Experience in clinical, business or financial operations preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Ability to talk with individuals and groups about their needs and ask the right questions to surface essential requirements information.
o Ability to critically evaluate the information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, decompose high-level information into details, abstract up from low-level information to a more general understanding, distinguish presented user requests from the underlying true needs, and distinguish solution ideas from requirements.
o Ability to engage customers and technicians for the purpose of extracting discussion, ideas, opinions, and general contribution in individual settings, meetings, or to lead requirements elicitation workshops.
o Ability to validate data obtained via other techniques and expose new areas for elicitation.
o The ability to communicate information effectively to customers,vendors, managers, and technical staff.
o Ability to work with a vast array of information gathered during elicitation and analysis and to cope with rapidly changing information and priorities.
o Ability to help negotiate priorities and to resolve conflicts among customers, technologists, and management. Strong teamwork skills at all levels are critical.
o Ability to evaluate, prioritize and problem solve a variety and multiplicity of tasks and ensure their timely and accurate completion. Also, the ability to work independently and take initiative in areas of responsibility.
o General knowledge of health care operations desired. Knowledge and appreciation of business concepts and requirements as applicable to a large academic, research, and/or healthcare facility a plus.
o Knowledge of project management tools preferred
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
On-Call* Yes, on a regular basis (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside Yes
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group - As one of the nation’s leading hospitals and academic medical centers Houston Methodist has brought together some of the nation’s leading experts in multiple specialties to serve our patients. As part of Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group (HMSPG), these specialists not only provide excellent clinical care, but are on the forefront of research, developing leading-edge technologies and treatments, and teaching the medical pioneers of tomorrow. This combination of clinical service, research and academics ensures patients have access to the latest in treatments and technologies while providing the best in comprehensive patient care. Established as a non-profit corporation and certified by the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners, HMSPG enables physicians to maintain autonomy with respect to their clinical practice while growing their practice within an academic environment.
Server Engineer - Apple Administration
Corporate, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob Summary03/2020JOB SUMMARYAt Houston Methodist, the Server Engineer is responsible for developing and executing test plans, installations and documentation …
ERP Senior Applications Analyst - PeopleSoft Developer HCM
Corporate, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob Summary11/2019JOB SUMMARYAt Houston Methodist, the ERP Sr Application Analyst is responsible assuring the efficient, effective and consistent delivery …
Business Analyst- Physician Organization (Medical Center)
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummaryAt Houston Methodist, the Business Analyst is responsible for facilitating within the organization, acting as a bridge between …