Houston Methodist Hospital
6565 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: Dec. 1, 2021
At Houston Methodist, the Business Development Specialist is responsible for increasing outpatient and inpatient utilization of hospital services by educating and informing stakeholders, to include physicians, physician office staff, other health care entities, employers and the community, as applicable, about the services offered by Houston Methodist and the most efficient ways to access those services for their patients, members, employees and other constituents. Markets services to assigned market area. The Business Development Specialist will be responsible for maintaining a pipeline of prospective business, tracking all efforts and activities, and providing reports regularly to leadership. The Business Development Specialist works closely with Houston Methodist Medical Staff, Directors/Managers/Executives and office staff to effectively expand utilization of Houston Methodist services and affiliated physicians. Must be able to travel on a regular basis.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
- Meets with internal and external stakeholders to develop relationships that will lead to new business for Houston Methodist. Exercises professional discretion regarding sensitive and/or confidential issues. Utilizes effective communication and diplomatic skills when dealing with internal and external stakeholders. (EF)
- Liaises with appropriate stakeholders to bring forth issues as identified related to service, operations, scheduling, and other barriers (EF)
- Maintains rapport with stakeholders to promote effective community health care provider interaction and appropriate utilization. (EF)
- Develops relationships and meets regularly with individuals and organizations in order to improve communications and education. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
- Manages and prioritizes multiple tasks and regularly reevaluates priorities according to business needs. (EF)
- Effectively communicates changes in policy and/or new services and programs. (EF)
- Assists in problem solving and acts as a liaison to provide resolution as needed. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 10%
- Prepares reports to document and communicate activities using approved software. (EF)
- Stays abreast and adheres to current Stark, HIPAA and IRS regulations in accordance with Houston Methodist policies. (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
- Monitors regular reporting to meet/exceed quarterly targets. (EF)
- Researches, analyzes and monitors assigned market(s) to identify potential new business or improve current service offerings. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 30%
- Coordinates or participates in activities related to physician/employer/community events such as new physician orientation, CME conferences, physician office education meetings, health fairs, benefit fairs, chamber of commerce events, advisory groups, focus groups, luncheons and outreach introductions. May participate in the development of program-specific web pages and marketing materials. (EF)
- Identifies opportunities to develop new business and assists with development and implementation as assigned. (EF)
- Facilitates relationships with stakeholders to increase effective and efficient professional interactions as needed.
- Recruit and/or onboard new team members, employees or physicians as appropriate.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Bachelor's degree required or additional four years of related experience in addition to the minimum experience requirements listed below required in lieu of degree
- Minimum five years of experience involving business development, sales or relevant experience required. If current Houston Methodist employee, experience in Business Development, Project Management, Marketing, Finance, clinical operations or other related experience will count toward total years of experience.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Ability to work under pressure and balance many competing priorities in a positive and supportive manner
- Proficient in spreadsheet, word-processing, and presentation software
- Excellent verbal written and interpersonal communications skills
- Ability to professionally handle exposure to confidential/sensitive information
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to work effectively in team environment
|Other (dept approved) ||No|
|On-Call* ||No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above. Travel**
|May require travel within ||Yes|
|Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|May require travel outside ||Yes |
|of Houston Metropolitan area|| |
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. In 2020, U.S. News & World Report named Houston Methodist Hospital to its top ranked Honor Roll for the fourth time and second consecutive year. 2020 also marked the ninth year in a row Houston Methodist Hospital has been named the No. 1 hospital in Texas. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 952 operating beds, 85 operating rooms and over 8,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
The same high-quality care for which Houston Methodist is known is available at several Emergency Care Centers in Houston and the surrounding areas. These Emergency Care Centers house exam rooms, full digital radiography suite, low radiation dose 16-slice CT scan, ultrasound and a full on-site stat chemistry lab.