Houston Methodist Hospital
6565 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
Category: Physical Therapy
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: March 4, 2022
At Houston Methodist, the Cardiac Rehab Coordinator position provides direct oversight of the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program and serviceline, both inpatient and outpatient components, including but not limited to patient care and education, staff development and training, patient recruitment, patient billing, physician interactions, and marketing of the program. This position is responsible for monitoring work flow and volume of the work, monthly schedule and daily shift assignments, staff performance evaluation feedback to the appropriate manager, and assists in the development of the department budget. The Cardiac Rehab Coordinator position is an exercise physiologist and supplements patient care as needed.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
- Promotes a positive work environment and leads the team to be a dynamic, focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. Role models to team members effective communication skills, assisting in their development of such skills. (EF)
- Communicates in an active, positive and effective manner to all interprofessional health care team members, listens and responds to the ideas of others. Coaches staff in effective verbal, non-verbal and written communication. (EF)
- Implements protocols and objectives with team members to result in optimization of staff performance, teamwork, patient safety, and customer service. Provides feedback to management on team member performance and conduct. Develops, trains and mentors team members to build competency of skills, knowledge and abilities to achieve a high level of department service. Monitors competency completion for onboarding hires, as appropriate (EF)
- Delivers high quality patient care as outlined in the patient's care plan, putting the patient's needs above all by providing a nurturing environment, continuous positive feedback and firm direction to achieve a positive outcome. Role-models skills, through peer-to-peer accountability, to contribute towards improving department efficiencies and patient satisfaction. (EF)
SERVICE - 25%
- Plans and monitors staffing levels to ensure appropriate staffing at all times to provide excellent service. Regulates scheduling and department staff assignments based on the needs of the department. Provides daily reporting to management of needs, issues to be addressed, and all important information necessary to ensure department success. (EF)
- Oversees the work flow, caseload and patient processes and treatments for assigned team/area, ensuring quality outcomes and the safety of the patient, adjusting activities as applicable. Coordinates activities for the service line as requested. Establishes and maintains professional relationships, trust and credibility with all on the interprofessional team, serving as primary point of contact for routine matters with physicians for service area, assisting management with daily operations as assigned. (EF)
- Leads and initiates problem resolution within the work unit. Responds in a proactive manner to service concerns, resolving such matters according to established guidelines. Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information and informs management of pertinent issues in a timely manner to maintain a high level of patient satisfaction.(EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
- Serves as the primary quality assurance resource for the department. Reviews and revises, as appropriate, policies and procedures which reflect knowledge of industry standards and recommended practices for Cardiac Rehab. Assures department performance follows Houston Methodist policies and procedures and guidelines/standards from pertinent regulatory agencies. Assisting with accreditation preparedness. (EF)
- Assesses patients regularly, monitoring progress towards treatment goals, modifying goals, plan or program as indicated. Proactively anticipates the complications/limitations associated with certain procedures and addresses for optimum outcomes. Collaborates and communicates with the interprofessional team modifications to patient's treatment plan, progress, and discharge planning. Provides safe, functionally relevant, and effective exercise treatment interventions. (EF)
- Develops patient treatment protocols and best practices for patient population or practice area. Proactively identifies opportunities for corrective action, leads process improvement providing recommendations, and contributes to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety. (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
- Monitors staffing levels against budgeted targets and adjusts to meet goals. Keeps Management informed and involved, as appropriate, to proactively address staffing or other employee issues. Prioritizes daily tasks for self and area(s) of responsibility/assigned team members to meet the labor productivity standards. Maintains the shift's monthly schedule and daily shift assignments and assists in the development of the department budget's needs. (EF)
- Monitors the accuracy and completion of documentation of patient education and procedures performed in a timely manner in the patient record. Enters charges for services provided, and performs charges reconciliation as applicable. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
- Identifies staff development opportunities for professional growth of colleagues, provides coaching to meet identified goals. Identifies and assists department Director in scheduling of necessary in-services for department staff related to new products, changes in procedure, etc. Provides oversight for new employee orientation. Identifies and assumes responsibility of own learning needs, consults with healthcare team experts and seeks continuing education opportunities to meet those needs. Completes and updates their own individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. (EF)
- Leads and identifies opportunities for practice changes and performance improvement. Investigates and incorporates evidence-based practices which are presented to shared governance and leadership. Supports change initiatives and adapts to unexpected changes. (EF)
- Provides guidance with project development, implementation, evaluation, research, and where applicable, publication. Develops and presents educational and formal training programs. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Bachelor's degree in Exercise Physiology, Kinesiology, Exercise Science or related field of study
- Master's degree preferred.
- Five years' experience in a Cardiac Rehab Program. May consider HM employee with four years' experience with demonstrated progressive responsibiltiies.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Amercian Heart Association Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) within ninety days of hire/transfer
- Specialty certification preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers.
- Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, Hospital and Office software to maintain patient and exam documents
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills, ability to manage conflict etc.
- Track analytic data
|Other (dept approved) ||No|
|On-Call* ||No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above. Travel**
|May require travel within ||No|
|Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|May require travel outside ||No |
|of Houston Metropolitan area|| |
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. In 2020, U.S. News & World Report named Houston Methodist Hospital to its top ranked Honor Roll for the fourth time and second consecutive year. 2020 also marked the ninth year in a row Houston Methodist Hospital has been named the No. 1 hospital in Texas. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 952 operating beds, 85 operating rooms and over 8,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
The same high-quality care for which Houston Methodist is known is available at several Emergency Care Centers in Houston and the surrounding areas. These Emergency Care Centers house exam rooms, full digital radiography suite, low radiation dose 16-slice CT scan, ultrasound and a full on-site stat chemistry lab.