Houston Methodist Hospital
6565 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
Category: Imaging Services
Job Type: PRN
Posted Date: May 6, 2022
The Cardiology Diagnostic Technician I is an entry level Technician that performs electrocardiograms (12 lead EKGs) and Holter monitor applications for both inpatient and outpatient exams. Processes and transmits EKG and Holter monitor data to designated software applications. Ensures exams are available for physician interpretation for completion of exam, including paperwork and reconciliation of exams. This job collaborates with all members of the patient care team.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE - 20%
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
SERVICE - 30%
- Performs diagnostic electrocardiograms (12 lead EKGs) and Holter monitor exams that require precise placement of electrodes to the assigned area for accurate EKG data. Proactively identifies issues and how to address them for optimum results. (EF)
- Provides care for the physical needs of patients when conducting the EKG and/or Holter exams. Educates patients on the required care of the monitoring unit and electrode care, who require inpatient or outpatient Holter monitoring. (EF)
- Provides direct assistance to physicians and other health care team members during diagnostic exams.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Identifies changes or abnormalities in EKG morphology when performing exams or processing data. Takes corrective action or communicates immediately, when appropriate, to proper personnel for the best results. (EF)
- Reviews the quality of EKG tracings for the patient care team and interpreting physician.
- Ensures all patient care equipment has had QC performed as required and is in safe working order prior to use. Reports any malfunctions to management and regularly practices preventive maintenance procedures; calls for service if needed. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Provides accurate and complete documentation of patient procedures. Enters charges at the time service is delivered, when applicable. (EF)
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Participates in departmental projects and shared governance activities.
- Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Technician.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
High School Diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
0 years, with six months of basic EKG and/or Holter monitor experience highly preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
One of the following within 18 months of hire: NHA-CET, NCCET-CET, CCI-CCT, ACA-CET, MedCA-EKG 1, NAHP-NRCEKG, or completion of HM EKG class
American Heart Association BLS
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills and competency assessments
- Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, Hospital / Radiology/ Cardiology Information Systems and Office software to maintain patient and exam documents
- Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers
- Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision including, organizing workflow and actively participating in problem solving
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. In 2020, U.S. News & World Report named Houston Methodist Hospital to its top ranked Honor Roll for the fourth time and second consecutive year. 2020 also marked the ninth year in a row Houston Methodist Hospital has been named the No. 1 hospital in Texas. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 952 operating beds, 85 operating rooms and over 8,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
The same high-quality care for which Houston Methodist is known is available at several Emergency Care Centers in Houston and the surrounding areas. These Emergency Care Centers house exam rooms, full digital radiography suite, low radiation dose 16-slice CT scan, ultrasound and a full on-site stat chemistry lab.