Care Coordinator - Wound Care
6565 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
- Job Ref:
- Talent Area:
- Job Shift:
- 1st - Day
- Job Type:
- Posted Date:
- Nov. 20, 2023
At Houston Methodist, the Care Coordinator position is responsible for serving as an initial point of contact for patients, employees, vendors, clients, medical staff and other callers seeking help from the department. This position provides technical, clerical assistance and data management support to the department staff to facilitate efficient utilization of resources including referrals management, communication and collaboration with providers, access to agencies and other community resources and transportation. The Care Coordinator position performs duties including but not limited to coordinating needed physician referrals and appointments, assisting with department initiatives, demonstrating independent actions necessary to provide competent and professional assistance to meet the needs of the health care team and patients. This position coordinates, oversees, records and transmits information pertinent to the resource management of patients to next level of care providers and performs a wide variety of administrative duties of a higher complexity in support of department operations.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
- Communicates in an active, positive and effective manner to all health care team members and reports pertinent patient care and family data in a comprehensive and unbiased manner, listens and responds to the ideas of others. Encourages open communication to achieve mutual understanding. (EF)
- Interacts with peers, staff and physicians in a supportive and respectful manner. Works collaboratively and maintains active communication with Care Managers, Navigators, physicians, nurses, office staff and other members of the care team to resolve problems that are identified during follow-up phone calls. (EF)
- Answers incoming telephones, troubleshoots and directs calls and requests to appropriate individuals from patients, employees and clients while evaluating, documenting and managing their needs. Proactively acts as a patient advocate, responding to and working to resolve patient concerns. (EF)
- Assists and coordinates various functionality and utilization of patient and client database including data entry; assuring database is kept up-to-date. Proactively contacts patients and clients to arrange follow-up on process or outcome goals that are determined or required. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
- Assists with clerical functions for patients and clients, coordinating referrals and services, following department standards, for patients with community resources, communicating effectively with community agencies and service providers to facilitate care coordination and information sharing. (EF)
- Coordinates and arranges appointments for providers and patients for patient meetings, procedures, and appointments and sends correspondence as designated. (EF)
- Assists with department initiatives by role modeling skills through peer-to-peer accountability, in order to contribute towards improving score for patient satisfactions on department scorecard. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
- Documents activities as required by program type, statistical forms and procedures and maintains complete patient records while keeping complete patient confidentiality. Responsible for proficiently, accurately and timely entering of data in the medical record systems. Submits data, reports and spreadsheets to Quality programs, meeting deadlines, as required by initiatives.(EF)
- Communicates needed interventions to providers or ordered by protocol. Assesses the status of patients discharged to self-care through telephonic contact 48-72 hours after hospital discharge (as appropriate). Collaborates and coordinates with the patient and family to ensure all ordered services and treatments are in place and that appropriate medical follow-up has been scheduled. (EF)
- Participates in quality improvement initiatives and collects data for use in departmental performance improvement as directed. Maintains timelines for follow up and prioritization of department projects and tasks. (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
- Organizes and performs office/clerical tasks to ensure that patient information and reports are processed efficiently and accurately, medical records are maintained, charges are processed and reports are completed and distributed in a timely manner. Coordinates department technology and communication systems. (EF)
- Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, minimizing incidental overtime. Provides input into the department resource utilization including capital and operational budget needs as necessary. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
- Monitors processes and work flow across the department and recommends changes for improving efficiency and quality. Follows up on action items as necessary to ensure completion of assignments. (EF)
- Identifies evidence-based practice/performance improvement projects based on research and observations by offering solutions. (EF)
- Identifies and assumes responsibility of own learning needs, consults with healthcare team experts and seeks continuing education opportunities to meet those needs. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
o Three years of healthcare experience which could include physician’s office, acute care, long term care, home health.
o Case Management experience preferred.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Demonstrates respect for individual, cultural and social diversity
o Strong assessment, organizational and problem solving skill as evidenced by capacity to prioritize multiple tasks and role components
o Able to work in a fast paced environment committed to providing immediate resolution to patient problems
o Proficient computer skills including Microsoft products, data entry, retrieval and report generation
o Ability to work independently while collaborating with other team members and exercise sound judgment in interactions with physicians, payors, and patients and their families
o Knowledge of Medical Terminology
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation’s leading centers for medical education and research. In 2022, U.S. News & World Report named Houston Methodist Hospital to its prestigious Honor Roll for the sixth time. Also, in this year’s rankings, Houston Methodist Hospital was named the No. 1 hospital in Texas for the 11th year in a row. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 946 operating beds, 85 operating rooms and nearly 8,500 employees, Houston Methodist Hospital offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse (RN) II position a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, functions at the Competent to Proficient stage of Benner’s model of clinical practice. The RN II position is responsible for providing professional nursing care to a diverse patient population, conducting nursing assessments, assisting …
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Sr Polysomnographic Technologist position is an experienced and fully competent Polysomnographic Technologist who works under the general supervision of clinical/medical director or designee to provide for comprehensive evaluation and treatment of sleep disorders. This position performs advanced duties including the scoring of sleep studies and …
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse (RN) II Department Premium position a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, functions at the Competent to Proficient stage of Benner’s model of clinical practice. The RN II Department Premium position is responsible for providing professional nursing care to a diverse patient population, …