Houston Methodist Hospital
6565 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
Category: Imaging Services
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: Oct. 25, 2021
The Cath Lab Radiologic Technologist I is a Technologist who performs cardiovascular procedures in the Cardiac Catherization Laboratory. Assists physicians with interventional and therapeutic cardiac or electrophysiology procedures including but not limited to peripheral and coronary angioplasty, stents, rotablators, artherectomy, laser, and coronary ultrasound; electrophysiology procedures including ablations and device implantation. A member of the direct patient care team, actively participates and scrubs into Cath Lab cases to assist with the movement and alignment of equipment as well as the control of radiation throughout procedures. Delivers exceptional patient care and adheres to radiation standards and guidelines established by radiology agencies to ensure optimal patient safety and customer service. This job requires availability to be on call.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE - 20%
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
SERVICE - 30%
- Performs interventional and therapeutic cardiac or electrophysiology procedures including but not limited to peripheral and coronary angioplasty, stents, rotablators, artherectomy, laser, and coronary ultrasound; electrophysiology procedures including ablations and device implantation; fluoroscopy and cine modalities, as well as recommending various radiological techniques to maximize best visualization of patient's cardiac anatomy. (EF)
- Actively participates and scrubs into Cath Lab cases to assist with the movement and alignment of equipment as while as the control of radiation throughout procedures. (EF)
- Provides care for the physical needs of patients by executing various Radiologic concepts to maximize performance. This includes: positioning, physiology, procedure preparation, and technical factors. Modifies technical factors to achieve desired imaging results and recognizes complications / limitations associated with certain procedures. Proactively identifies how to address these for optimum outcomes. (EF)
- Provides direct assistance to physicians during diagnostic or special procedures, including assisting with sterile technique.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Follows radiation safety standards and conducts all imaging procedures accordingly. Properly utilizes patient radiation protection and immobilization during diagnostic procedures. Maintains proper sterile techniques for procedures, regularly practices aseptic techniques, and ensures compliance with infection control procedures. Complies with job, departmental and hospital safety standards, practices and policies. (EF)
- Reports "near misses" and inputs errors promptly into PSN to improve processes and identify trends. Contributes to identification of corrective actions and improvement activities, and contributes to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety.
- Ensures all imaging equipment has had QC performed as required and is in safe working order prior to use. Reports any malfunctions to management and regularly practices preventive maintenance procedures; calls for service if needed. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Provides accurate and complete documentation of patient procedures. Enters charges at the time service is delivered. (EF)
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Participates in departmental projects and shared governance activities.
- Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Cath Lab Rad Tech.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below
0 years, with one year experience as a Radiologic Technologist with Interventional experience highly preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
American Registry of Radiologic Technologist in Radiography (ARRT (R)) required
Registration as a Medical Radiologic Technologist (MRT-GC)
American Heart Association BLS
American Heart Association ACLS within 6 months of hire/transfer date
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills and competency assessments
- Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, Hospital / Radiology Information Systems and Office software to maintain patient and exam documents
- Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers
- Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision including, organizing work flow and actively participating in problem-solving
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. In 2020, U.S. News & World Report named Houston Methodist Hospital to its top ranked Honor Roll for the fourth time and second consecutive year. 2020 also marked the ninth year in a row Houston Methodist Hospital has been named the No. 1 hospital in Texas. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 952 operating beds, 85 operating rooms and over 8,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
The same high-quality care for which Houston Methodist is known is available at several Emergency Care Centers in Houston and the surrounding areas. These Emergency Care Centers house exam rooms, full digital radiography suite, low radiation dose 16-slice CT scan, ultrasound and a full on-site stat chemistry lab.