Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR) - 100% Remote, must live in the greater Houston area
The Woodlands, TX 77385
- Job Ref:
- Talent Area:
- Support Services
- Job Shift:
- 1st - Day
- Job Type:
- Posted Date:
- Nov. 3, 2023
At Houston Methodist, the Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR) is responsible for complete and accurate data collection/abstracting in accordance with state law as detailed in the Texas Cancer Incidence Act, the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer Program Standards (ACOS CoC PS), and HM guidelines. The CTR is to ensure that all healthcare cancer information is thoroughly reviewed and assigned appropriate codes and staging such that the statistical data base is accurate, complete, and timely for required reporting. The CTR also participates in continuous improvement, reporting, and follow-up programs in order to meet departmental goals. Assists management and colleagues in all aspects of cancer program activities.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
- Participates in planning and conducting of a continuous improvement program to ensure accurate, complete, and timely data collection. (EF)
- Assists with development and maintenance of policies & procedures and other reference aids.
SERVICE - 25%
- Analyzes and reviews the healthcare documented in various sources that includes system records as well as correspondence with physician offices and other facilities to obtain all necessary cancer information ensuring each case is thoroughly and completely abstracted. (EF)
- Assists with reporting of data to the Texas Department of Health (state central cancer registry), National Cancer Data Base, physicians, and other authorized users in accordance with departmental procedures for release of information.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
- Coordinates case finding and data collection activities in accordance with the Texas Cancer Incidence Reporting Act, American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer Program Standards (ACOS CoC PS) and HM Cancer Committee; ensuring timely abstracting of data. (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
- Ensures department productivity and data accuracy is maintained at appropriate levels to meet agency requirements. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Identifies continuing education needs of the department and participates in staff development.
- Maintains and actively expands knowledge of the cancer disease process, diagnostic methods and procedures, and all possible treatment variations. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
- Some college preferred
- Successful completion of 160-hour clinical practicum or one year of experience in the cancer registry field
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR) by National Board for Certified Registrars
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Thorough knowledge of and ability to code cancer data utilizing International Classification of Diseases for Oncology (ICDO), FORDS, American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC), SEER Summary Stage and Texas Cancer Reporting Handbook
- Knowledge of statistics, medical terminology, and anatomy
- Basic computer skills as related to database and other software applications related to registry data management
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Detail oriented
|Other (dept approved)||No|
|On-Call*||No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
|May require travel within||Yes|
|Houston Metropolitan area|
|May require travel outside||No|
|of Houston Metropolitan area|
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: ________________________
Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital is committed to leading medicine in Montgomery County and the north Houston region by delivering the Houston Methodist standard of exceptional safety, quality, service and innovation. The growing campus offers 293 beds and access to the most innovative care. In January 2022, the hospital opened Healing Tower – a $250-million expansion project that added 106 beds, focused on medical/surgical and women’s services and nine operating rooms. It also included the expansion of the endoscopy center, emergency department and diagnostic imaging department.
Houston Methodist The Woodlands is recognized as a comprehensive stroke center, an orthopedic center of excellence by DNV, designated as a Level III neonatal intensive care unit, and has achieved Magnet Designation for nursing excellence from the ANCC. Houston Methodist The Woodlands is also ranked No. 1 nationally out of 148 members in the Complex Care Medical Centers cohort to be recognized for demonstrating excellence in delivering high-quality care based on the 2022 Vizient Quality and Accountability Ranking.
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse (RN) II position a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, functions at the Competent to Proficient stage of Benner’s model of clinical practice. The RN II position is responsible for providing professional nursing care to a diverse patient population, conducting nursing assessments, assisting …
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Sr Polysomnographic Technologist position is an experienced and fully competent Polysomnographic Technologist who works under the general supervision of clinical/medical director or designee to provide for comprehensive evaluation and treatment of sleep disorders. This position performs advanced duties including the scoring of sleep studies and …
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse (RN) II Department Premium position a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, functions at the Competent to Proficient stage of Benner’s model of clinical practice. The RN II Department Premium position is responsible for providing professional nursing care to a diverse patient population, …