Chaplain - FT/Days (Medical Center)
6565 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
- Job Ref:
- Talent Area:
- Job Shift:
- 1st - Day
- Job Type:
- Posted Date:
- Nov. 16, 2023
At Houston Methodist, the Chaplain position is responsible for providing spiritual care to meet the spiritual, religious, and emotional needs of Houston Methodist patients and their family members. This position provides spiritual care support for Houston Methodist employees, visitors and physicians. The Chaplain position makes spiritual care visits with patients to conduct initial assessments and for follow-up care. This position follows established patient care plans, proactively identifying when a change in approach or intervention is necessary, taking appropriate action and involving others as needed. The Chaplain position works independently, exercising sound judgment and executing above average critical thinking skills on challenging situations, with the ability to work collaboratively with peers. This position assists leadership in carrying out the Houston Methodist mission, vision and values, participating in and leading activities in these efforts.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 30%
- Facilitates a supportive and positive environment for Houston Methodist patients, family members, visitors, employees and physicians. Assists leadership with planning and carrying out Houston Methodist mission, vision and values. Provides spiritual care support to Houston Methodist employees. (EF)
- Influences a dynamic, team-focused work unit that helps to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating in a positive, supportive, non-judgmental manner. Conducts self in a manner that is congruent with cultural humility, diversity, equity and inclusion principles. (EF)
- Serves as mentor to CPE students and spiritual care volunteers as assigned. Orients and precepts new chaplains, as assigned. (EF)
- Exhibits and demonstrates healthy work relationships such as mitigation of conflict, leading problem-solving and resolution efforts. Recommends initiatives to improve department scores for employee engagement. (EF)
SERVICE - 40%
- Provides spiritual care to meet the spiritual, religious, and emotional needs of patients and their family members of all faiths, during hospitalization and particularly for pre-operative, critically ill and dying patients. Enables others to utilize their own faith as a resource for health and healing. (EF)
- Makes visits with patients to conduct spiritual care assessments, in response to referrals and codes, and for follow-up care. Follows established patient care plans, proactively identifying when a change in approach or intervention is necessary, taking appropriate action and involving others as needed. Enables patients to participate in their plan of care as applicable. (EF)
- Serves as liaison with community clergy, local congregations and denominational groups. Utilizes community resources to assist in meeting the spiritual needs of others. (EF)
- Serves as the initial point of contact for providing crisis intervention for patients, family members, visitors, employees and physicians. (EF)
- Recommends initiatives/activities to meet/exceed department and organization targets for patient satisfaction measures. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 15%
- Participates in interprofessional health team rounds; proactively identifies need for intervention and takes action, involving others as necessary. Reports “near misses” and documents in the Patient Safety Net (PSN). (EF)
- Accurately and thoroughly documents patient visits and spiritual care provided in the patient’s record. (EF)
- Consults with physicians, clinical management, hospital leadership and staff to assess quality and safety of services provided. Identifies opportunities for corrective action and improvement, providing recommendations; contributes to meeting department and hospital targets for quality and safety. (EF)
FINANCE - 5%
- Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks to achieve maximum results in a timely manner. Utilizes time efficiently, demonstrating responsible financial stewardship, and proactively helps other team members. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Participates in and may plan and lead various department and/or hospital-wide activities such as, but not limited to: worship services, I CARE values integration, accreditation readiness, bioethics, etc. Assists with special projects and serves on various hospital committees as identified. (EF)
- Participates in and represents the hospital in Houston Methodist sponsored community activities. Completes and updates the My Development Plan on an on-going basis. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Master’s degree in theology or related studies from an institution accredited by a member of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), or equivalency approved by the Association of Professional Chaplains (APC), American Association of Pastoral Counselors (AAPC and only if prior to 2017), National Association of Catholic Chaplains (NACC), Neshama: Association of Jewish Chaplains (NAJC), Canadian Association for Spiritual Care (CASC), Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE), or Spiritual Care Association (SCA)
o Four units of clinical pastoral education (CPE) from an accredited institution(s), e.g. the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE), the Canadian Association for Spiritual Care (CASC)
o Highly prefer experience as a professional chaplain
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Ordination or commissioned to function by a religious authority
o And one of the below:
o Board certified chaplain (BCC), obtained within three years from hire, by one of the following: Association of Professional Chaplains (APC) or Cognate: American Association of Pastoral Counselors (AAPC and only if prior to 2017), National Association of Catholic Chaplains (NACC), Neshama: Association of Jewish Chaplains (NAJC), Canadian Association for Spiritual Care (CASC), Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE), Spiritual Care Association (SCA)
o BCC, by other nationally recognized chaplain certifying body having comparable qualification requirements as APC and Cognates and as approved by HM System Director Spiritual Care
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
o Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates various computer systems to enter and maintain patient documents
o Ability to work independently; capable of effectively handling challenging / difficult interactions, patient care situations; demonstrates sound judgment and executes above average communication skills
o Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team
o Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision including organizing work flow and actively participating in problem-solving
o Very strong organization skills and detail-oriented nature
o Professional handling of exposure to confidential/sensitive information
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
On-Call* Yes, on a regular basis (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation’s leading centers for medical education and research. In 2022, U.S. News & World Report named Houston Methodist Hospital to its prestigious Honor Roll for the sixth time. Also, in this year’s rankings, Houston Methodist Hospital was named the No. 1 hospital in Texas for the 11th year in a row. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 946 operating beds, 85 operating rooms and nearly 8,500 employees, Houston Methodist Hospital offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse (RN) II position a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, functions at the Competent to Proficient stage of Benner’s model of clinical practice. The RN II position is responsible for providing professional nursing care to a diverse patient population, conducting nursing assessments, assisting …
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Sr Polysomnographic Technologist position is an experienced and fully competent Polysomnographic Technologist who works under the general supervision of clinical/medical director or designee to provide for comprehensive evaluation and treatment of sleep disorders. This position performs advanced duties including the scoring of sleep studies and …
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse (RN) II Department Premium position a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, functions at the Competent to Proficient stage of Benner’s model of clinical practice. The RN II Department Premium position is responsible for providing professional nursing care to a diverse patient population, …