Chaplain Intern - Extended Fall 2023
6565 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
- Job Ref:
- Talent Area:
- Job Shift:
- 1st - Day
- Job Type:
- Posted Date:
- June 21, 2023
At Houston Methodist, the Chaplain Intern position is responsible for participating as a part-time or summer student in the Houston Methodist accredited Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) program which includes classroom education as well as individual supervised learning. Under the clinical supervision of the Certified Educator/Associate Educator, or Student Educator CPE, this position is precepted and mentored by assigned Sr. Chaplain/Chaplain in the provision of spiritual care to meet the spiritual, religious, and emotional needs of patients, families, and employees.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Provides a supportive and positive environment for Houston Methodist patients, family members, visitors, employees and physicians. Provides spiritual care support to Houston Methodist employees. (EF)
- Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating in a positive, supportive, non-judgmental manner, reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. Conducts self in a manner that is congruent with cultural humility, diversity, equity and inclusion principles. (EF)
- Provides contributions towards improvement of department scores for employee engagement on department scorecard. (EF)
SERVICE - 45%
- Participates in interprofessional health team rounds, discharge planning, support groups and other interprofessional teams. (EF)
- Precepted and mentored by assigned Sr. Chaplain/Chaplain, provides spiritual care to meet the spiritual, religious and emotional needs of patients and their family members of all faiths, during hospitalization and particularly for pre-operative, critically ill and dying patients. (EF)
- Assists in the initial screening and assessment of patients and the development of patient care plans; responds to assigned referrals. Follows patient protocols established by the precepting chaplain. (EF)
- Provides crisis intervention for patients, visitors, and employees with attention to spiritual needs, involving others as needed. (EF)
- Contributes to meeting/exceeding department and organization targets for patient satisfaction measures. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
- Seeks guidance from Certified Educator, Associate Educator, Student Educator and precepting Chaplain as appropriate; escalates issues/requests to ensure quality and safety in services provided. (EF)
- Accurately and thoroughly documents patient visits and spiritual care provided in the patient's record. (EF)
- Contributes to identification of corrective action and improvement activities and contributes to meeting department and targets for quality and safety. Reports "near misses" and inputs into Patient Safety Net (PSN). (EF)
FINANCE - 5%
- Utilizes time and resources effectively and efficiently and helps other team members, demonstrating responsible financial stewardship, minimizing incidental overtime. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Prepares required patient care reports and other summaries for review and evaluation in compliance with CPE program requirements. Proactively learns from feedback and mentoring. (EF)
- Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development. Completes and updates the My Development Plan on an on-going basis. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Enrollment in an accredited college/university
- Bachelor's degree or graduate level theological degree from an accredited school preferred
- One year of membership in a faith/belief group
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely function in learning environment
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates various computer systems to enter and maintain patient documents
- Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team
- Demonstrates a high level of maturity with demonstrated self-confidence and ability to make decisions
- Conducts self in a professional manner at all times
- Above average written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrates a learning attitude toward solving problems, using good reasoning and judgment in a high stress environment
- Demonstrates a positive demeanor and strong multi-tasking abilities
- Very strong organization skills and detail-oriented nature
- Professional handling of exposure to confidential/sensitive information
|Other (dept approved)||No|
|On-Call*||Yes, on a regular basis (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above.
|May require travel within||Yes|
|Houston Metropolitan area|
|May require travel outside||No|
|of Houston Metropolitan area|
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: Rotates with other CPE residents and interns in taking on-call responsibility on weeknights, weekends and holidays
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation’s leading centers for medical education and research. In 2022, U.S. News & World Report named Houston Methodist Hospital to its prestigious Honor Roll for the sixth time. Also, in this year’s rankings, Houston Methodist Hospital was named the No. 1 hospital in Texas for the 11th year in a row. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 946 operating beds, 85 operating rooms and nearly 8,500 employees, Houston Methodist Hospital offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group, Houston, TX
Interested applicants, please forward a copy of your CV to Rob Henges - firstname.lastname@example.org Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group is actively seeking two full-time General Endocrinologists to join our newly established Cypress Practice, set to open in the second quarter of 2024. The practice will be located within the Cypress …
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital, Houston, TX
The Medical Staff Services Specialist provides comprehensive support to the Medical Staff and Governing Body in matters of Medical Staff self-governance. Duties are varied within the department and include one or more of the following:processing applications for appointment and reappointment to the Medical Staff and Allied Health Professionals; maintaining …
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Senior Scheduler position is responsible for providing consumers access to care and treatment through appointment-based availability of healthcare services at a designated facility. This position schedules patients for complex services (e.g., surgery, special procedures) on a routine basis and ensures quality patient surgical and/or ancillary …