Work Shift: Day shift
Work Week: PRN -as needed
Responsible for charging all procedures within the cardiology service line using the corresponding electronic application. Communicates with departments, medical records, and/or clinicians to ensure proper charging of related accounts. Coding certification preferred. Two years of related experience recommended and demonstrated comprehensive understanding of Medicare coding rules and regulations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Review medical record documentation to obtain accurate charges that will satisfy Medicare edits and match accurate physician documentation.
2. Follows established coding rules and guidelines based on accurate documentation in the medical record when abstracting outpatient medical records.
3. Reviews medical records and assists Business Office/Transaction Management in correcting edits/errors.
4. Works with clinicians, medical records, and the departments when physician documentation and coding does not match the charges.
5. Communicates with Transaction Control all issues related to medical records, various departments and Physician initiatives related to coding as well as recommended changes in the usage of items coded in the Charge Description Master.
6. Exhibits the ability to communicate orally and/or in writing with Hospital peers and physicians and prepares a monthly report and analysis of the outstanding matters related to coding
7. Demonstrates a commitment to the Hospital by always complying with the overall goals of excellence in service.
8. Performs daily reconciliations to ensure all charges cross into the electronic billing system.
9. Works daily with Billing department to address billing edit issues that require specialized analyses; triages issues to CDM Team, Medical Records Coding, or other Teams as necessary.
10.Performs other job related duties as assigned.
11. Demonstrates componets of ICARE value statement.
12. Demonstrates componets of Service PRIDE standards.
13. Follow all safety rules while on the job.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS High School Diploma or GED equivalent required. Associates degree preferred.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS Minimum 2 years of coding/charging experience required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED Medical Billing and Coding Specialist certificate preferred.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Knowledge of all of the components of an electronic medical record
2. Knowledge of ICD-9 codes, CPT codes, DRGs, and APCs
3. Working knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology
4. Extensive PC knowledge
5. Proficiency with electronic encoder application.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, located 35 miles southeast of Houston, is the area's only Magnet-recognized, full-service hospital offering specialized medical care for patients at every stage in life. This 276 bed hospital with 12 operating rooms, and over 1,400 employees, brings Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and surrounding counties.
Admitting Representative - Evenings
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, TX
Work Shift: EVENINGWork Week: Sat/Sun 6:30p-7aJob Summary06/2014JOB SUMMARYThe Admitting Rep I is responsible for obtaining and inputting accurate demographic and insurance information, on the Hospital ...
Academic Coordinator - Computational Surgery
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummarySUMMARY Provides a wide variety of highly skilled technical and staff support services in departments which span across ...
Patient Affairs Coordinator II
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummaryJOB SUMMARYThe ACM Patient Affairs Coordinator II (PAC) assists in coordinating the efficient flow of information between patients, ...